✢2

Previously on NIGHTMARE:

John tossed and turned as he slept. The strangest of memories flew through his mind. They seemed so close, yet so far away.

❃❃❃

John walked through the school building, his hair, barely gelled. The dark circles under his eyes were evidence of the terrible sleep he had the night before. He suppressed a yawn as he picked out his textbooks for his first period. The hallway was empty, most of the students were already on their way to class. "Should I just skip today? Maybe I can spend some time with Sera..." His thoughts were interrupted by a loud yell from behind him.

"What's that cripple? You didn't get enough sleep last night? Need a nap?" A pink, spiky haired boy, whom John recognized as Krolik stood behind him, alongside another mid-tier, Illena. The two of them laughed loudly, as if he'd made the joke of the century. John rolled his eyes. Would he really put up with them today? "It doesn't matter, I'll just beat the crap out of them instead," John thought, already imagining the painful beat down he'd give them.

"You're asking to get pummeled," John said, turning around. The two of them were a little stunned at the tone of his voice, but quickly laughed, remembering who he was.

"Don't act so cocky, stupid weakling!" Illena retorted. "It doesn't matter if you can throw a punch, we could beat you easily!"

"Oh really? From what I recall, I crushed you easily," John said, getting ready to fight. Both Illena and Krolik grew red in the face.

"You must be delusional! I've beaten you up countless times!" Krolik charged up a laser while Illena ran forward. John immediately activated his ability, and charged his own laser, one much larger and more powerful than Krolik's.

"H-huh?!" Kroliks eye's grew wide as saucers as he was hit across the face with John's laser. Illena stopped in her tracks and turned around, only to see Krolik on the floor clutching his face, which was bleeding and burnt.

She looked back at John in confusion and noticed the orange glow his eyes were emitting. "But-" She was abruptly cut off as John punched her in the gut using her ability. She flew back against the wall, just as Krolik stood up, and charged another laser.

"It's two against one moron! You're going to lose!" He stretched his hand out, and fired the laser, but it was too slow, for John had already ran in, ducking low, his arms outstretched, and shoved Krolik to the floor, where he slid back before slamming into the wall. John lifted his foot, and was about to step down before he noticed what he'd done. He wasn't wearing a mask. They knew he had an ability. They knew he wasn't a cripple now. "But," John thought, "everything seemed, exactly the same. I'm mixing up that nightmare with reality!" With no other option, he kneeled down beside Krolik and held him up by the collar, leaning in close. Illena, who was too badly hurt to run away, cowered in the corner, shaking with fear.

"Listen, you'll do exactly as I say," he began. "You will not tell anyone about this. If you do I'll know. I have eyes and ears everywhere," he threatened. He then turned to give Illena a vicious glare. "And the same goes for you. One word and I will destroy you." With that, he stood up and walked away, just as the late bell for his first period rang.

❃❃❃

John tried to suppress his panic as he climbed the steps to the roof. Could he even trust that those two would keep quiet? Surely a threat like that would be enough to shut them up but John was still unsure. He pushed open the door to the roof to find his best friend already sitting with her back against the wall. She looked up from her phone and greeted him. "You're skipping today?" John nodded as he took a seat next to her.