✢5

Previously on NIGHTMARE:

    "It appears that Seraphina has not read unOrdinary. While I appreciate your concern for her, I believe you're being overly distressed. I suggest you leave Seraphina alone, as she can take care of herself."

    "I apologize, sir. Thank you for your time."

❃❃❃

    "John!" Seraphina yelled flinging the door open. She sprinted inside looking left and right only to find her best friend seated on the sofa. "John?"

    "Uh, hey Sera. Are you... okay?" he said awkward.

    "I should be asking you that. Where were you?" she calmed herself and sat next to him.

    "I didn't sleep last night. I was a little tired so I thought I'd rest a bit before going to class. Did something happen over there?"

    "Yeah. 'UnOrdinary happened." John's face fell into a look of pure shock. He bolted upright and grabbed Seraphina's shoulders, dropping his voice to a whisper.

    Leaning in close to her, he asked "Did anyone find out? Did you get in trouble or something?" His tone held worry and concern.

    "Um, John. You're sort of... close," she said, blushing a little while trying to keep her voice even.

    "Huh?" he said, realizing the position he was in. He instantly backed up a little and sat on the other end of the sofa, his face a reddish hue. "Sorry! I just didn't want anyone to hear us. I hope I didn't make you uncomf-"

    "You're fine. No worries," she said, quickly trying to diffuse the embarrassing situation and get to the point. "To answer your question, yes I was found out and no, I didn't get into much trouble as far as I know."

    "Uh, what? UnOrdinary is illegal but you got away with no consequences. I mean, you're the Ace and all but that's sort of pushing it."

    "Well it's thanks to you actually," she admitted, pushing a bit her curly bangs away from her eyes. "The first question the interrogator asked me was whether or not I have or had possession of the book. The entire time I read the book, I was here, and you were with me, therefore I never had possession of it," she finished.

    "Sera, that was genius! I guess we got lucky."

    "Lucky, or maybe it was because you took caution and made me read it at your place. It's really thanks to you that the both of us weren't caught. Thank you, John."

    "I- um, it was nothing Sera. We just have to look out for each other right," he replied, smiling sheepishly. Despite his pleasure at knowing she was safe so far, he couldn't help but consider telling her the truth. "But by doing so, she'll find out about Claire and eventually, about me and my past. I can't let that happen. She can't find about that part of me."

❃❃❃

    "Stupid, STUPID Arlo! You're just mad that Seraphina would rather hang out with a cripple than you!" He spread out the information he'd collected so far and looked through it. Just a few testimonies from staff and students, all claiming that John fit the description of a cripple. Weak, scared, quiet. According to what he had, John would either run away or use Seraphina as protection. Exactly what he would have expected. "If I don't get something soon, Arlo's gonna kill me!"

    "..."

    Isen heard a commotion coming from the next hall over. Frustrated with his dead end, he decided to get up and investigate the noise.