✢1

Previously on NIGHTMARE:

How he was played by Arlo, how Seraphina was suspended, how he tore down the hierarchy.

None of it had happened.

❃❃❃

    "John, explain. What ability? Who did you hurt?" Seraphina said, looking concerned. She shuffled over to sit next to John and hugged him. "You're okay now. Just tell me what happened."

    "It's nothing," John said quickly. "Just a bad dream." Seraphina looked at him skeptically as she released him from her embrace.

    "Really? You never act like that. If somethings up-"

    "Sera, I promise, I'm okay now." Seraphina relaxed a little and sat back down. "No point in sleeping now, right?" He looked at his phone, and saw that it was 4:57 AM. "Wanna go get breakfast?" Seraphina nodded and the two left to get dressed.

    Seraphina strolled alongside John, eating the bagel she'd bought at the convenience store. "Can't believe it's still dark out," she said.

    "If it were a little lighter outside, we could have gone for a jog," John replied. The two of them took a seat on a nearby bench, which faced the fountains.

    "Oh, John. I plan on going to the mall today." John hated where this was going. "You coming too?" John searched his brain for a reasonable excuse but found none.

    "Fine. You have to make it fast though."

❃❃❃

    John stepped outside the dressing room wearing the shirt he'd picked out previously, imprinted with the word "LAME". Although John was unaware, Seraphina suppressed a laugh as he showed off his choice of clothing.

    "It doesn't look that bad," Seraphina said, still chuckling. "Let's go to check out." Seraphina and John both purchased their clothing and left the boutique. They had stopped at a boba shop not too long afterwards and walked through the crowded centre.

    "That wasn't so bad," John commented, taking a sip of his beverage.

    "See? I told you. We should come more often, it's fun-"

    "Nonono, don't push your luck Sera." She smiled, and sipped her boba. When Seraphina began to talk, John had been paying attention at first, and was actively engaged in the topic of their conversation. As they walked near a booth, John saw a familiar orange haired man, and became focused on him. Seraphina noticed where he was staring.

    "You wanna stop by that booth?" Seraphina asked.

    "Huh?" John said, bringing his attention back to his best friend.

    "That booth." She motioned to the man gauging abilities. "Did you want to check it out?" John's eyes widened.

    "NO!" he exclaimed quickly and rather loudly, surprising Seraphina a little. "I mean, no, it's fine, we already know you're a high-tier. Let's keep going. It's already dark out and we wouldn't want to miss the bus."

Seraphina was concerned."Why is he acting so strangely? Does it have anything to do with this morning?" She shrugged it off, not wanting to pester John about it again. They continued to have light conversation as they exited the mall.

    "That man from the booth! He's here! What could that mean? It seems like everything's happening again! How do I make this stop? At all costs I need... I need to protect Sera."  Almost immediately, John sensed an aura behind him. He peeked back and saw nothing.