✢4

Previously on NIGHTMARE:

"We need to get in contact, you're in danger!" His lips voiced silent words of confusion and fear, but she shook her head frantically.

"Remember, don't trust anyone, and-"

John awoke, gasping for air.

❃❃❃

He bolted upright clutching his throat, begging it to suck in some air. His face was exceptionally pale and his eyes stung from the tears. He surveyed his surroundings and registered his room. "It was just a dream," he said softly, falling backwards onto his bed, shutting his eyes. At once he sat up, panicked. "No, no, no, that was not a dream. It was real. It had to be." John rubbed his eyes and pushed himself onto his feet, trembling. He shuffled over to his desk and took slow shaky sips from the glass of water sitting there. At last, when his heart rate had become somewhat normal, he flopped into his chair and laid his head back.

"Claire..." he reminisced. "It's been a while, hasn't it?"

❃❃❃

"John didn't show outside the school today, and he hasn't been answering my texts. I wonder if he's sick or something." Seraphina had decided to attend class today since she'd been informed there was an upcoming test that would account for a large percentage of her grade this semester. "He's missing this exam!" she thought, worried. She was handed the test paper and glanced at most of the questions. They were simple, to her at least. She made silent plans to check on him after this period when the speakers sounded.

"Seraphina, please report to the main office."

Murmurs and whispers broke out among the students in her class. "Is she in trouble?" "What did she do?" "Can she even be reprimanded?" The talking was silenced by a reproving glare from the teacher.

"It's all right Seraphina, go ahead. You can complete the test later," the teacher said while motioning to the door. Seraphina stood up from her desk and made the awkward walk across the front of the room, and exited. The chilling feeling of being stared at disappeared as soon as she left, but was quickly replaced with apprehension.

"Is this about me skipping class all the time? Did the school tell my mom about it?" Seraphina groaned, dreading whatever she would face in the headmaster's office.

She opened the door to the waiting room and peeked her head in before stepping in. She noticed her blue haired roommate, Elaine, seated in one of the chairs with her hands clasped. Seraphina shot her a questioning look, causing her eyes to widen. She immediately looked away nervously, her hands shaking.

"Guilty," Seraphina deduced from her reaction "But for what?" She hastily pulled her blazer up and straightened it out in an attempt to look slightly more presentable. She knocked on the door to the office and was greeted with a cheerful voice.

"Ah, Seraphina! There you are. Please sit." Seraphina did as she was told and sat in one of the two cushioned chairs opposite the headmaster. She took notice of the green haired woman and the tall, irritable looking man standing beside and nodded her head as a greeting.

"Headmaster," she said coldly.

"Oh come on now! Don't look so tense! You're even making me nervous!" he remarked, grinning. "Allow me to introduce you!" He started by pointing to the petite lady beside him. "This is Ms. Nadia. She's here on behalf of the authorities today. She is going to ask you a very simple set of questions. Don't worry, you'll be out of here in no time."

He smiled at the two. "Alright ladies, take it away!"

Immediately, the cheerful atmosphere from Headmaster Vaughn's words was replaced by a cold, intimidating setting. "This is an official interrogation. You are expected to answer all questions with honesty. Any lie you tell will be detected, and will result in an immediate expulsion from Wellston Private High School. Is that understood, Miss Seraphina?"

"Yes," she replied, bracing herself.

"Good. Let's begin. We were informed that you are in possession of the book unOrdinary. Is this true?"

"unOrdinary! Is that what this is about? But, how would Elaine have found out about this? I never left John's house with the book! I never... left John's house... with the book..."

"No," she replied confidently. Nadia seemed taken aback.

"She's telling the truth," Nadia had expected her to admit to having possession of the book but she really was being honest. "Alright. Have you heard of the book before? Were you aware that it was banned?"

"I've heard of the book before and I know it was banned."

"What is your impression of the book?" Seraphina bit her lip.

"I- I think it's absurd. I know that it caused many high rankers to feel the need to become vigilantes to save people. It's a dangerous book." Nadia sighed with relief.

"That's all. You are free to leave. Thank you for your time." Seraphina bid goodbye and hurriedly left the office. Elaine was still seated in one of the chairs. She walked past her, ignoring her and walked out into the hallway. She pressed her back against the wall and breathed with relief.

"John... thank you," she whispered.

❃❃❃

"I've called the authorities. They still wish to suspend her for 2 weeks, so that she can cleanse herself of any influence from unOrdinary," Nadia said.

"No. She will not be suspended."

"B-but sir! This isn't in your hands! The authorities have requested she have time to rid herself of unOrdinary. WIth all due respect sir, you aren't in a position to say otherwise!" she explained.

"If the authorities wish to suspend Seraphina, they can speak with me directly. You may leave now."

"O-of course. Have a good day." Nadia said, leaving.

Vaughn's eyes followed her as she left the office, and the waiting room, walking past Elaine. "Elaine, would you mind coming in for a moment?"

Elaine sprang from her seat and stepped into the office.

"It appears that Seraphina has not read unOrdinary. While I appreciate your concern for her, I believe you're being overly distressed. I suggest you leave Seraphina alone, as she can take care of herself."

"I apologize, sir. Thank you for your time."

Chapter 4 (1038 Words)

✒ EZ A/N:  We have gained one thousand reads since last chapter - now at 2

✒ EZ A/N: We have gained one thousand reads since last chapter - now at 2.4K reads. This is really doing way better than I expected it to do. If you ever want to talk to us or have any suggestions, feel free to come chat with us on this unOrdinary fanfic server: https://discord.gg/hxMSENe.

✒ annalycheee A/N: hi everyone, thanks for 2k reads, you guys are awesome! be sure to check out the server linked above so you can come say hi to us. expect some jera stuff in the next chapter! :)