Chapter 9: THE UNDERGROUND BATTLE BEGINS - THE ONE WHO TOOK MY SIGHT?

The scene picks up where we left off. Stein and the others were all in their combat gear, and making their way to stop the witches from freeing the Kishin. Along the way, Kid explained on how Lord Death defeated them by ripping their skin off and imprisoning them in a cocoon made out of said skin. To further prevent them from awakening, Death fused his soul with the entirety of Death City.

They keep moving, still not certain where the witches were. Cole said that the five from before were still attacking the city, but the others were still hiding.

Blackstar: we've gone a pretty long way now. Hey Maka, Cole, can either of you sense the witches up ahead with those gifts of yours?

Cole: still nothing yet.

Maka: their soul protects must still be on right now.

Blackstar: oh... all right... that's lame. Sensing stuff's the only thing you're half decent at.

Maka: (mad) you really know how to piss me off!

Ann: yeah, with an attitude like that, you're never gonna get a girlfriend.

Cole: hold up! (Everyone stops)

Blackstar: (looks around) what? What?

Cole: do you sense that?

Maka: I do. It's a soul just beyond those shadows. There's someone there.

Ann: you can come out now!

Maka: I know that soul... I'm sure of it... That nasty, despicable feeling...

She gets more on edge as the figure enters. The others were expecting it to be a witch, but it turned out to be Spirit.

Maka: Papa!

Spirit: (confused) I'm not nasty, or despicable.

Ann: with your perverse brain, I'd say you are.

Stein: how did you manage to escape from the trap they set up there?

Spirit: (proud smirk) when it comes to chasing a woman, no one's faster than I am.

Cole: that's disgusting and creepy.

Stein: I should've guessed that. It is a relief to see you, though. I wasn't sure how much I'd be able to do without my weapon around. (Spirit looks ahead) what've we got? Are they up ahead?

Spirit: uh-huh. Lying in wait for us. (Transforms into scythe mode)

Stein: (wields him) listen up! From this point forward, there's no telling what could happen. It'd be best for you weapons not to return to human form during the battle. When you're vulnerable, a single blow could be the end of you.

Tsubaki: (determined) right!

Liz: (uneasy) uh... okay.

Patty: yeah!

Soul: ...

Blackstar: why are they sitting up there waiting for us? I thought they were on their way to the Kishin.

Ann: they've most likely anticipated some resistance from us.

Stein: agreed. They've no doubt left some behind for protection.

Cole: wait, someone's coming.

Blackstar: Cole's right. You hear that?

They wait quietly, and faintly hear the sounds of footsteps approaching them. Stein explains that it was someone who could take on multiple opponents and be certain not to let the team pass. The figure arrives to reveal to be none other than Medusa, not in her sleeveless black hooded dress.