Chapter 5: THE SUPER WRITTEN EXAM - DUAL RIVALS FOR THE MEISTERS?

The scene shows the friends in Professor Stein's classroom. Currently, they were just informed about the super written exam coming up. Basically, it's like their final or SAT test where they have an hour to complete a test covering everything they've learned over the semester. Ann and Cole already took it before, so they were excused. Everyone else, however, weren't out of the loop from this.

Stein: all right people, as I'm sure you know there isn't much time remaining. In three short days, you'll all be taking the general test for meisters and weapons, the Super Written Exam. I assume you have all been studying for it.

Maka's Thoughts: of course! I've been cramming for this for a month now.

Stein: just to warn you, I wrote the test questions this year. If you've studied the materials, you should be fine. If not, you may have a problem. In either case, good luck. Kay! Class is dismissed! (Exits)

Soul: ugh, yuck. There's gotta be some short-cut way to memorize everything.

Maka: you don't learn by taking short cuts, Soul, and I'm not gonna let you get away with cheating, either.

Cole: your sis seems determined to get the top score, Ann.

Ann: yeah. Maka really wants this, because apparently whoever gets the top score is destined to make a Death Scythe.

Cole: an exaggeration. But, whatever drives one to study to their heart's content.

Soul: man this blows. How come you two don't have to take this test?

Ann: we did ours at our old school. And, Lord Death counted that as our score.

Cole: at least you don't have to take it in Braille. I had to be given a separate test all together.

Ann: well, we better get going. The boss has a new assignment for us. Good luck!

Maka: you too, big sis.

The duo then makes their way to Lord Death's office. He was in his usual spot, but then turns to the two arriving.

Death: hiya! How's it going you two?

Ann: pretty good, sir. How about you?

Death: good good. Another day, another mission. Speaking of, since you both don't need to do the written exam as two stars, I'll be sending you on an assignment. In New York, there's been sightings of a rare Kishin. People have begun to call it the Snatcher, as it attacks at night and has left behind multiple victims. Both of you investigate this and report when you've finished.

Both: yes sir.

With that said, the duo then leave to get ready for the mission. They headed off, and saw everyone was getting ready for the test. They both agreed that of their group of friends, Maka and Tsubaki would most likely do good on the test, Soul and Blackstar will probably try and cheat, Liz would try her best, Patty will get distracted and make artwork instead, and since Kid's OCD with symmetry, he'll be too busy trying to make everything perfect (and get a heart attack if something's off). On the ride over, Ann decides to ask Cole something.

Ann: so, Cole, when do you plan to ask Tsubaki out?

Cole: what? What makes you think that-

Ann: c'mon, I've seen how you act around her. You have real smiles instead of fake ones, you risked your soul to save hers, and you generally care about her. And it's clear she likes you. Ask the girl out.

Cole: you know why I don't...

Ann: (sighs) I know. But listen, she doesn't judge you on your eyes, nor how you act. She's kind and understanding. I'm not saying you have to give her the full story right away, but, she's a friend. They all are. At least think about it.