Chapter 3: TSUBAKI THE CAMELLIA BLOSSOM - WHAT REAL HURT FEELS LIKE?

The scene opens up at a secluded area outside the school grounds. It was a lake that was quite and was almost completely empty. However, that changes when a flute is heard playing.

(Play video at 0:42 - 1:20)

Cole is then shown playing a flute while siting on a rock by the edge of the lake. As he plays, he recalls a time when he was a child and experience something no other kid should ever have to.

A house on fire.

Genji and Angela fighting someone.

The person weakened.

A child watching terrified.

And finally Angela carrying the child out of the house with his hands on his eyes and him screaming in pain with blood dripping through his fingers.

The screaming fades as Cole's song comes to an end.

Cole's Thoughts: I've lost something important that day. Something I can never reclaim again. (Puts flute away and touches the blindfold) even after my training... this is proof of my loss.

He then hears footsteps approaching him, and he doesn't even turn around to know who it was.

Cole: what is it, Professor Stein?

Stein: Lord Death's been looking for you. He has a new target that he wants you to help Blackstar and Tsubaki with.

Cole: what's the target?

Stein: the Enchanted Sword Masamune.

Hearing that, Cole stands up and he joins Stein as they head back to the academy. In Death's office, Tsubaki is already there and he's giving her the info about the target.

Death: the Enchanted Sword Masamune's currently in the village Shin, seeking souls to harm. If he continues like this for much longer, he will become a Kishin. Are you sure you're ready for this, Tsubaki? You know how difficult a battle it's going to be.

Tsubaki: I'll stop Masamune. Difficult or not, I can do it.

Death: what does Blackstar have to say about it?

Tsubaki: I haven't told him everything, if that's what you mean. He doesn't need to know the whole story yet. But he said he's willing to put his soul in my hands for this battle.

Death: did he? You got yourself a good partner there, don't you.

Tsubaki: (smiles) yes.

Death: very well. But, just to be safe, I've assigned Cole Shimada to join you both. Like Ann with Maka and Soul, he'll be there to monitor and step in should things go south.

Tsubaki: I understand. Thank you.

Later on, Cole, Tsubaki, and Blackstar were walking through a village with spikes on the buildings and tree stumps.

Blackstar: so, uh... where are we?

Tsubaki: this is Shin, also known as the village of needles.

Blackstar: why do you think a little out-of-the-way village like this would become a target for the enchanted sword?

Cole: an area like this would give the appearance of not surviving for long. With the village being miles out in the middle of no where, they'll most likely be a test target to the sword.