4 Information

I sit up and wipe my face. Jude looks at me, "Are you ok? You were screaming in your sleep and so I pulled over to wake you up."

I look around and grab my phone, "Yes, I just had a nightmare. I'm ok. Honest."

He looks at me with a worried expression but doesn't question farther. I watch Jude as he climbs up front and brings us to the road again. He turns the radio loud enough to hear some country music.

He looks in the rear view mirror to look at me, "If you want to talk you can. I'm not some old creep. I'm only 26 and I see you as a daughter or niece."

I nodd and check my phone. There are no messages so I decide to text Jason. 'Hay, it’s Claire, I was letting you know that I found a ride to South Dakota and I'm keeping my nose to the wind. I would like you to send a text with every bit of werewolf info you know.'

My phone beeps a moment later, 'Ok good to hear your ok. I’ll send what info I can but it may be in different texts. Off the top of my head I can tell you that there are 7 packs on the continents. The largest is the Snow pack in Alaska, The Night pack that covers North Dakota and stretches into Canada, The Aurora pack in Nunavut, Canada. You've also got my pack, the Sky pack of Colorado. The Blood pack of Illinois is the most violent. The Swamp pack covers Alabama, and Georgia. The smallest pack is in Mexico and it’s called the Desert pack.'

I text back a thank you and dig through the mini fridge. I find cheese sticks and a coke. I also grab some sour cream and onion ship and settle into the front seat.

Jude laughs when he sees me struggling to open the cheap chips. When I finally open the bag they explode in my face. Annoyed I let a growl slip and Jude gives me an odd look. I shrug and chow down on the cheese and chips.

After an hour, we stop for a restroom break and I ask where we are. He says that he wasn't sure but he figured that we were near the edge of Illinois.

I sigh and sniff the air. There are 3 wolves up wind of me. As long as they stay upwind then I'll be fine. After the bathroom, I buy a Monster and head to the truck. Jude’s not back yet cause he had to wait in a line.

Bored I sniff the air again. The wolves' scent is weaker as if they had moved somewhere else. Panic rises in my throat as my wolf decides to try and hide.

The hair on the back of my neck rises as I see a wolf staring at me from the nearby trees. He's huge and saliva drips from his lips. I quickly get in the truck and lock the doors.

He stares at me and a sudden presence enters my mind. 'You’re a rogue, and you’re in claimed land, pup.' He stretches the word out with disgust. 'I'd take your human and get outta here if you wish to live.'

I automatically bow my head, 'I'm simply traveling through. I have not and will not shift in this territory.'

He growls over the mind link but leaves my mind in peace. I sigh in relief and Jude just happens to get in the truck then. He looks at me funny and I wave my hand to dismiss any questions.

The rest of the week was quiet and nothing happened until we pulled in to Sioux Falls.

We stopped at a truck stop around sunrise. Jude woke me up with a shake, "This is as far as I can take you."

I rub the sleep from my eyes and yawn. I pack my things that are strung around the cabin. My phone beeps with a text but I ignore it. It’s just another text with info from Jason about us.

I'm fixing to jump out of the truck when Jude grabs my arm. I turn and he hugs me. "Hope you stay safe. You have my number if you need to call." He hands me a dollar bill with a 100 on it. "You take this, you’ll need it more than me and it will get you the rest of the way."

I nodd and put it in my pocket. I wave good bye and get out of the truck. He waves back before driving south with his new loaded trailer. I sigh and go inside of the truck stop.

There’s a wolf sitting at a table in the back. She watches me and I feel her power. She must be a beta or 3rd. I smile at her and give the slight head tilt meant to mean submission. I hear a growl only load enough roe our ears before she goes back to eating. 

I order food from the cafe and sit down to eat. As I'm fixing to dig in the woman comes over and sits across from me, "What is your business rogue?"

I take a bite and take my time chewing and swallowing before answering, "I'm not a rogue. I have yet to belong to a pack and our society has yet to have a name for one such as me. But I should have permission to travel here since its still unclaimed land as far as the Sky pack and I know of."

She growls lowly and I look up from my food. Her eyes show surprise and anger. "You are still a rogue as far as I care to know. And as far as having Jessica's pack behind you while you enter another pack's territory is not permitted by us. And I'll have you know that the Alpha does not treat rogues as lightly as he used to."

My inner wolf stepped in then and I had to control her, "For your information I have no rank and I shall pass if I please. And it just so happens that I know much about the Night pack. And I honestly came to ask about joining it's ranks. My reason is for me to keep to my self till I speak to your alpha in person."

She growled and her amber eyes flashed black for a moment. "You’re still a pup and that tone with me will only get you killed. If you wish  to enter the area then you better find a way to ask for it first or I will personally slaughter you."

With that threat she got up and left. My wolf snickered at the win on our behalf. I finish eat and check my phone. The text from Jason read, 'Remember that you are a rogue to other packs and can be treated as one with death. I plan on calling the Night alpha later to get you permission to pass. If you encounter anyone outside of the pack, don't piss them off.'

My first thought was oops. I called Jason then. He took his time answering and I was already walking next to the road by the time he picked up. "Jason here."

"It's Claire; I read your text a little late and had already pissed a rank off. She seemed like a 3rd from how she acted. But she started it with a threat. And I'm still 180 miles from the border of North Dakota."

I heard Jason sigh and the phone was muffled but I still heard voices from the background. Jason picked the phone back up. "That’s not good but it probably couldn't be helped. I already called to get you permission to pass. You have it but avoid other wolves if you can. But you can also travel in wolf if you want. By the way did the woman have amber eyes and brown hair with a little grey?"

I thought back for a moment, "Hmmm. Yeah, She did. Why do you know her?"

I heard him curse, "Yea, She's the Beta right now. She has a third's blood line but her dead mate was beta and she took his place. Be careful till you meet Alpha Wadu in person. He's old and lets his under ranks run how they want at times."

I mumble to myself about more issues. "Ok, well I'll call if I need anything. Thanks Jason."

I hung up and found that I had neared the other side of town. My wolf was restless with the past week of captivity. I walked further till I found a good patch of trees to strip and shift in. 

My wolf rejoiced in the freedom. Before taking off, I grip my bag in my teeth and dash off to the north with the wind nipping at my face and fur.