♤ Twelve ♤

"Y-yes it is. The sun shines wonderful this afternoon." I respond with a dry throat.

"Well, the sun is already gone, my dear." The woman smiles friendly and I smile back, but I am also embarrassed, when I notice the darkness outside.
I forgot time exists...

"You should head back to the dorms now. Sleep is very healthy, my dear."

"You're right, Ma'am. Thank you for telling me." While I say that, I already pack my things and shortly after, leaving the library.

"And I haven't even started my homework." I mumble to myself in frustration.

◇◇◇

Saturday has arrived and I am already pretty exited for the ball.
I get ready in the bathroom.

After I put on my uniform and lastly my shoes, I am ready to go to the cafeteria.

The night I got a good amount of sleep, so I woke up later than usual. Luckily, at weekends, we can get our breakfast until 10am.

Right now, it is 9am, so I have enough time to eat.
Therefore, I get the food and sit at the table, watching other people.

Some of them are looking slightly sleep deprived and others as exited as myself.

Not many noises fill the room, just a few girls talking quietly and giggling over their conversation.

I sigh satisfied, since I am able to eat peacefully.
After a while, when I almost finish my plate of food, I notice, neither Amy nor Violet are here right now.

They probably ate already. I am pretty late after all.

In time, I clean my table and get on with my day. Even though, I don't know what I should do or where I should go, I just walk around and search for a place to stay.

Suddenly, someone makes an announcement over the speakers in the school building.

"Attention students, attention. For the upcoming ball, we have decided to make the pairs randomly by drawing lots. This afternoon at 7pm, you will be able to check on the list in the great hall, who your partner will be. That way, everybody gets a partner without being left out. We also have transfer students from other schools, so therefore, we have an even number. If anything has to be discussed or if there will be any mistakes, we will solve all problems until tomorrow. Now, have a good day, ladies."

Drawing lots?! I hoped, to ask somebody i know well, to dance with me!

Anxiousness fills my mind, I need to calm myself.

It is just a ball, right? I will survive it eventually!

That just calms me a little bit, but certainly not enough to keep myself from fidgeting with my fingers and to walk faster to the garden.

The garden is a calming place for me, so it is the first thing that comes in my mind, when it is about calming myself down.

Soon enough, I arrive and immediately sit on the bench near the fountain, watching the water closely, listening to the bees and birds humming their songs.

"Don't worry, you are safe, you have time until the afternoon, until your partner will be announced. You can dance, you practiced a lot!" I talk to myself. Sometimes I think it is crazy though, but it helps.

"Hi Y/N!"

Violet stands in front of me. I can see her shoes and I saw them before she even greeted me. But I still shriek and jump a little.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you." She says and just stays still.
"I just now noticed you. Sit down, if you want." I gesture to the space next to me on the bench and with a thankful nod, Violet sits down.

"I heard you talking. I guess, you talked to yourself, since I did not see anyone around here yet." I nod, slightly ashamed.

"It is because of the ball and who your dance partner will be."

She doesn't say it like a question, more like a statement of facts. So I don't respond and just watch the wind shaking the trees and their leaves.

"You were right about what you said. You don't have to worry. You are safe. Until the announcement and after that too. You are strong. And a talented dancer." Again, she sounds like a reporter stating the obvious facts.

"Thank you." I respond.

The butterflies in my stomach are going crazy and I feel the warmth, Violets words are giving me. They really encourage me in believing my own words I said moments ago.

Minutes pass and we don't talk. Just admiring the gardens flowers again for a while.

At some point we start a conversation. Calm and friendly. My eyes follow her slight movements and my ears pick up her voice, quiet and wonderful.

♤♤♤