Chapter 18. Sadness and joy

Alexei's P.O.V

I wanted to welcome Zachariel personally into my home, but I woke up late. I didn't get much sleep the night before. Genevieve suffered from a fever and kept sweating during her sleep. I stayed by her side to wipe her body clean. I was glad that my child was feeling better in the morning. I was just about to take a shower when Charlotte called my room. She told me that Zachariel had arrived and was cooking now. I sighed while thinking that I had missed my chance to greet Zachariel at the door. I took a relaxing shower, then got ready to meet the object of my affection.

I got startled when I heard the children squeal with joy. The children were never this excited in the morning. I had a feeling that Zachariel was in their room to wake them up. I was eager to see how Zachariel handled the kids. I decided to visit the children's room to observe him. I leaned against the door of the children's room and gazed at Zachariel and the kids. My heart filled with joy when I saw how much Zachariel adored the kids. The kids couldn't stop showering Zachariel with love either. Genevieve was happy when Zachariel made noodle soup to keep her healthy. I smiled with satisfaction every time Zachariel looked in bewilderment at me. I had a peaceful morning, thanks to Zachariel. I checked on Zachariel and the kids from time to time to see what they were doing. I couldn't help but think about the letter that my grandmother had left me when I saw Zachariel playing with the kids.

My grandmother had stated in her last letter addressed to me that I would find the man of my dreams. Zachariel certainly had all the traits that I was looking for in a life partner. The odd thing was that I was sure that I would have fallen in love with Zachariel even if he didn't possess all the traits. Zachariel had a good heart and a great personality. It was hard to find people like him nowadays. I was eager to know how Zachariel felt about me. I knew that Zachariel wouldn't want to reveal his true feelings to me anytime soon. So I got my emotions under control. I sighed while watching Zachariel teach the kids how to use glue. It was hard being in love with someone as oblivious as Zachariel. I walked back to my desk when I heard Chance say, "Are you there, Alexei?" I had finished analyzing all the papers that I had brought home with me. I had been waiting for Chance to appear online so we could start our virtual meetings.

"I'm here, Chance," I said to my friend while taking a seat at my desk. Chance chuckled, then uttered, "You don't look so good, Alexei." I sighed while grabbing the papers that I needed for the meeting. I then replied to Chance with, "I had a rough night, Chance. Genevieve got sick last night." Chance frowned then asked me, "Aren't the children getting sick too often, Alexei? Why don't you ask a specialist to examine them." I shook my head, then responded to Chance with, "Children often get sick for no reason, Chance. A pediatrician comes to the mansion every month to monitor the children's health. You don't have to worry about them. The children are as healthy as a fish."

I was just about to invite the third party to our meeting when my father walked into Chance's office. He was carrying a tray full of snacks and drinks. I scowled at Chance when I heard my father say, "Your mother-in-law sent this for you, Chance. We are leaving now. Don't forget to call me to confirm if you guys are joining us on our trip to the Bahamas or not." My father got startled when he saw me on the screen. He put a fake smile on, then greeted me with, "Good morning, Alexei." I sighed then addressed my father with, "Good morning, Mr. Marquis." My father winced when he heard me address him formally. He sighed, then asked me, "How are you, Alexei?" I chuckled while looking at my father. I could see that he was getting irritated. I smirked at my father, then answered him with, "I'm doing great, Mr. Marquis. I see that you are still better at treating your son-in-law as your son than me, your flesh and blood."

My father huffed, then walked away. "I'm sorry, Alexei," uttered Chance apologetically after my father left. I sighed then responded to my friend with, "Forget about it, Chance." I sent an invite to Eric, the director of one of my clothing companies, then started the meeting. The meeting lasted longer than I expected. I didn't get a chance to have lunch with Zachariel and the kids. I smiled when I saw Zachariel sitting on the terrace when I came downstairs to have lunch. He was busy working on his laptop. My fatigue and frustrations disappeared as soon as Zachariel smiled at me. "I'm a lost cause, aren't I?" I asked myself while drinking a glass of water. I treasured every moment with Zachariel, but I needed to work. I had decided to finish my work on Saturday. I was planning to spend the whole day with Zachariel and the kids on Sunday.