Chapter 24. Courage.

Alexei's P.O.V

I was on the phone with my father and didn't even realize that Zachariel wasn't in the car. I only noticed that he was missing when I turned around to check on him. I immediately ordered Cash to stop the car when he told me why Zachariel had stayed behind. I could understand Zachariel's sentiment, but I was sure that there was another way to avoid getting caught. I jumped out of the van, then went to look for Zachariel. My bodyguards instantly followed me. The blood drained from my face when I saw Dylan Hudson push Zachariel down. I would have broken Dylan's arms and legs if I didn't have to abide by the rules.

I got my emotions under control, then confronted Dylan Hudson about his crude behavior. I let Dylan know that I would destroy him if he ever dared to hurt Zachariel again. I kept pondering about Zachariel's health on the ride home. I had done my research. I knew how easy it was for people like Zachariel to suffer a relapse. Zachariel was quiet during the ride. I wished that I could see what he was contemplating. I got distracted when we arrived at the mansion. I didn't even hear Zachariel's phone go off. I lost my mind when I saw that Zachariel hadn't followed us upstairs. I panicked and ran downstairs to find him. There was no sign of Zachariel in the house. Charlotte addressed me when she saw how worried I was. She put her hand on my shoulder, then said, "Please, calm down, sir. Zach is in the front yard. He's on the phone with someone."

I sighed in relief, then went to find Zachariel. Zachariel didn't know this, but I had caught most of his conversation. He was surprised when I asked him who he was planning to meet. My heart broke when I saw the lacerations on Zachariel's arm. I cursed myself for not being able to do more for the love of my life. I suddenly felt a dark aura while I was examing Zachariel's wound. It was like Zachariel's body was shrinking. My heart skipped a beat when I realized that Zachariel was experiencing a relapse. I quickly tried to cheer him up. I had read how people who suffered a mental breakdown shut their brains off and only concentrated on negative thoughts. Charlotte tried to catch Zachariel's attention by being sincere to him. I could see that Zachariel was struggling to accept her feelings. I didn't want Zahariel to yield to the darkness. So I tried to pull him back by yelling, "Don't let your hard work go to waste, Zachariel!"

I wanted to hold Zachariel and cry with him when I saw how anxious he had become. I couldn't comprehend how anyone could so intentionally destroy such a compassionate man like Zachariel. I felt like confronting Andrew, but knew that would bring more trouble with it. I was thoroughly relieved when Zachariel finally smiled. Charlotte and I had succeeded in deflecting his attention. Zachariel thanked me for supporting him. He didn't need to because I would do anything for him. The kids were absolutely over the moon with joy when they discovered the toys that Zachariel had bought for them. Zachariel's complexion unreservedly changed when the kids praised his precise thoughtfulness towards them each. The children squealed when Zachariel uttered, "'Let's play a game, kiddos." I grabbed Zachariel's hand, then said to the kids, "Your uncle Zachariel isn't feeling well, kids. He's going to bed early today." The kids abruptly looked in concern at Zachariel. Dominique grabbed Zachariel's hand, then asked him, "Does your tummy hurt, uncle Zachariel?"

Zachariel burst out laughing when he remembered what Ocean had said to Dominique earlier. Zachariel ruffled Dominique's hair, then replied to him with, "No, baby boy. My tummy is fine." Jacques looked curiously at Zachariel, then asked him, "Does your head hurt, uncle Zachariel?" Zachariel placed a kiss on Jacques's cheek, then answered him with, "It did, but I'm feeling better now, Jacques." Genevieve threw herself at Zachariel, then asked him, "Does your heart hurt, uncle Zachariel?" Genevieve gasped when Zachariel nodded. She motioned her brothers to come closer, then said, "Okay, I understand. We'll make you feel better by giving you warm hugs and all the love that you need." A tear rolled down Zachariel's cheek when all the kids hugged him. He crouched down, then hugged the kids back. Zachariel lovingly stroked the children's heads, then uttered, "I'm proud of you guys. Thank you for being such smart and considerate children."