Jealousy

Well, look at this. I've been meaning to do a story taking place in this scene, and now here it is. It only took me what? Like, four years? Not bad at all. Anyway, enjoy!
Warnings: none
Word count: 989

"Men's room's upstairs." You heard Mercy say.
"Great. I'm okay." Bruce Wayne replied. "I like those shoes!"
Then, you heard those shoes walk away. Bruce said something to himself, but you didn't get it, nor did it matter. There were more pressing matters you wanted to discuss with him, after all.

"Be honest." You called, turning the corner behind one of the many servers in the room, startling Bruce. "How much prettier than me is she?"
Bruce's eyes went wide, but he regained his composure in a flash. "Sorry?"
"I'm Y/N. Hi. Sorry, where are my manners?" You said, reaching out your hand for him to shake.
"Bruce Wayne." He said with a smile, taking your hand. "Y/N, of course. The 'Lex girl' that married him in secret, right?"
You chuckled. "It wasn't much of a secret wedding, now, was it?"
Bruce shrugged. "The press coverage was rather overwhelming, I'm afraid."
"So I heard." You said, taking a sip of your drink and smiling behind the glass. "It was one of those spur of the moment decisions, you know? We thought it was a great idea, so romantic. Now... I'm not so sure."
Bruce remained quiet for a second, lost in thought. Then, said: "Is that why you asked me about the assistant?"
"Mercy, yes." You nodded, lowering your gaze. "So, what do you say? How do her mile long legs and perfect skin add up against me?"
"I—" He began, with apparent discomfort.
"No, you know what? Don't answer that." You said, offering him an apologetic smile. "I'm making you uncomfortable, I'm sorry. It's just..." You paused, staring at the servers in the room as if they held the answers you seeked, "...I don't have friends or family to talk to, just Lex. And that's enough. He is enough. But with all the time he's spending at work with her, and the way she looks at him..." You shook your head, "...Okay. Oh, God, I'm so sorry, you must think I'm insane..." You took another sip, "You know what? Just forget I said anything."
You walked a few steps and stood next to him. "Let's go back to the party, before they send her again to find us, yes?"
"I— sure." Bruce said after a moment, and offered his arm to escort you back.
"Let's go." You agreed, accepting the offer.

"You know," Bruce began as you reached the base of the stairs. "I don't think you should worry."
You turned to him with furrowed brows. "Really?"
"Yeah." He continued. "I've had Alfred, my butler, remind me every day of how perfect you and Lex are, and how I should follow your example."

"A terrible liar as usual, Master Wayne. But yes, I agree." On the other side of the earpiece Bruce wore, Alfred crossed his arms and laughed without humor. "In your dreams, Alfred."

You giggled, "Oh, really?"
"Yeah," Bruce admitted. "I never hear the end of it, I promise you."
You tucked a loose strand of hair behind your ear, hiding your flushed cheeks. "Well that's just sweet. Thank him for me, will you?"
"Sure will," He said. "But yes. Don't worry about the mile long legs and perfect skin. You two will be fine."
Bruce stopped suddenly, and looked at you. "With that being said, though. I must honor Alfred and give you a hand."
"What?" You widened your eyes and raised your brows. "What do you mean?"
"Here, take my arm and don't let go until Lex sees us, alright?"
"Okay?" You chuckled, doing as he said. "And then, what?"
"When he asks: I saved you from a nasty fall in the stairs, but you think you might've hurt your ankle."
"Okay," You repeated, with a mischievous grin. "Fall. Ankle. Got it."
"Good," Bruce replied, continuing to climb the stairs with you. "Now, give me your best limp, and I can assure you, Lex isn't letting you out of his sight anytime soon."
"Well look at you being all nice and mellow to Mrs. Luthor." Alfred spoke into Bruce's ear. "I am proud of you, sir. By the way, Alexander is heading right towards you."
"Here he comes." Bruce whispered. You nodded.
"Y/N!" Lex called, striding your way. "There you are! I've been looking all over for you, and—" He paused, noticing your hand around Bruce's arm. Lex gave him a puzzled look. "What— what is happening?"

"Lex! Someone spilled a drink on the stairs and I almost slipped!" You said with an awkward smile.
"What?" Lex asked with a jump, cupping your face in his hands. "Are you hurt?"
You felt your cheeks heat up. "Yeah. Yeah. I'm fine..." You glanced sideways to Bruce. "...Luckily Mr. Wayne was there to stop my fall." You grinned at him.
"Ah, it was nothing." Bruce shrugged. "But I would check that ankle, just to be safe."
"Ankle?" Lex's eyes went from Bruce to you. "Hm! Yes, of course. Right away."
Lex wrapped his arm around your waist, beckoning you to go with him.
And away from Bruce Wayne, Lex thought.
"Are you sure you're okay, darling? Can you walk? I can carry if you need." Lex continued.
"I'm alright, Lex. Don't worry." You giggled. "I can walk just fine."
"Good, that's good."
You turned to glance at Bruce, and gave him a wink. "Again, thank you so much!"
"Ah, yes." Lex said, jealousy trailing his words. He gave him a quick wave. "Thank you, Bruce. Now, Y/N, let's get you..."He turned to you next, and booped your nose. "...some ice."

As you followed Lex with flustered cheeks, you looked at Bruce one last time, mouthing the words: thank you.
He nodded.
You made a mental note to send him a nice bottle of wine sometime.

"You know, sir?" Alfred said suddenly. "If this whole vigilante job doesn't work out. I believe you have a bright future in match making."