Close Call (Part Two)

Told you I'd be back soon, didn't I? I forced myself to spend about four hours writing this, so here you have it. Thank you all so much for your patience and support! I really appreciate it.
So without further ado, I present to you this chapter. Enjoy!

Warnings: Reader gets hurt. Bad.
Word count: 1,712

***

You opened your eyes suddenly, or so you thought, for the black around you didn't change.
The last thing you remembered was the shrilling sound made by the collapsing structure of what was once your workplace. That one building that had taken almost two years to finish, and several others before that of personal sacrifice and hard work, now lay on the ground. Diminished to little more than rubble.
Buried in the darkness of the debris that constructed your coffin like prison, you couldn't help but to lose yourself in your thoughts.

Find what you love and let it kill you.

The first time you'd read that quote, you'd taken it as a somewhat of a mantra. But you never thought it would turn out to be so literal. It was so ridiculous that, had you been in any other situation, you would've actually laughed.

You pulled away from your thoughts and, product of a sudden adrenaline rush, you tried to move, but it was fruitless. For not only were you buried alive beneath tons of concrete and iron.
You couldn't feel your body either.

You gasped at the sudden realization, but couldn't gather the energy to do anything else. The quick breaths you'd been taking out of panic, started slowing down as the air around you became thinner by the second. A single tear rolls down your cheek before your eyelids grow heavy, and you slowly drifted back into unchanging darkness.

Is this how I die?

***

Metropolis, 3 years earlier

You found yourself drinking alone and avoiding anyone in a heavily crowded Metropolis Convention Center. You never were one to stay for long in these sorts of events. If you even attended them at all, that was. But on this particular day, everyone in the PR department thought that the 'reclusive' Y/N L/N had to at least attend the anniversary party of her own company, thus here you were. Bored to death and hiding away in a balcony.
God help anyone who dared to interrupt you.

"Miss L/N!" An unknown voice called behind you.
Tsk, you thought. Rolling your eyes and downing the liquor in your hand before turning around. A radiant smile now plastered onto your face.
"Evening," you said, charming as ever.
In front of you appeared a man who was rather tall, had dark skin and seemed to be in his early fifties. You figured the stranger's face wouldn't be so, had you bothered to read that 'guests brief' your personal assistant had handed you earlier.
He gave you a polite, but forceful smile, framed by a black beard and mustache that was starting to turn gray. For whatever reason, he seemed to be as excited to be there as you. Intrigued, you shook his hand, not sure what else to do.
"They great, Y/N L/N." He admired "Do tell me. What does it feel to run a soon to be Fortune 500 company at such a young age?" He inquired, still wearing his false smile.
"Oh, well I—" you chuckled, trying to figure out what to say "I can't complain, really. Although when I first started this, I did so as an excuse for not attending these events. But—" you joked, signaling your surroundings "I guess money can't buy everything"
"Yes, that is true," he laughed ruefully, and then his smile was gone. So quickly that you felt fear rise up from your chest as you fought to not step back "then again, Miss L/N. If you'd chosen not to attend these events, you could've missed out on some good business offers"
His smile was back "like the one I'm about to make"