Close Call (Ending)

(Not very fitting, but you have to admit: that GIF is good.)

It. Is. Done! Finally, I give you: the ending. Sorry for the delay, since this is my last work of the year. I wanted it to be special and really took my time with it. Anyway, thank you for reading! Hope you like it and that you have a great new year <3

Warnings: none
Word count: 5,330 (WOW)

***
On the fourth day following the fall of Metropolis, and for the first time in his life: a detail escaped Lex Luthor.

After the instalation of a provisional mobile network in the city. Everyone in the world, would seem. Was trying to get a hold on Lex ─and you, since your cellphone was still missing─.

As his phone rang non-stop, to Lex's mind came two thoughts: one, a part of him worried that the noise would wake you, while the other wanted it, badly. It didn't happen, though. As your sleep remained uninterrupted. Disappointed, Lex moved on to the second thought: he cursed the day the two of you had come up with that idea.

Gotham, one year earlier

"Why?" You asked, looking at your screen in annoyance before shoving it back into your coat pocket.
Lex, who'd been holding your hand as he dragged you through the city, turned to look at you. "Ah! I've told you, Y/N. There's no better way to find the perfect spot for our Gotham headquarters, than scouting the city ourselves."
Like every citizen of Metropolis and Gotham, you didn't enjoy leaving one city to go to the other.

"Huh?  No, no. I know that," You said, shaking your head. "I meant my phone, I'm losing signal everywhere." You sighed, hurrying your steps to catch up with him.
Once you do, you let go of his hand and wrap your arms around his waist. Lex pulls you closer with one arm and kisses your forehead.
"No, but for real now. How are we supposed to get in touch with the real estate agent without signal?" You inquired.
"Ah! Well." Lex pondered. "She's about to possibly close the deal of her career. She'll find a way to reach out, I'm sure."
You looked at him, unconvinced, but shrugged. Dropping the subject and enjoying the moment.
And then it occurred to you.
"I was thinking," you said, "Doctor Stone's project is stalling. We're losing time, money and patience. Don't you think is time for us to start working on something else?"
Lex turned to you, furrowing his brows. "Something else?" He asked.
You nodded, "I was talking to one very promising engineer of mine, he claims that he's found a way to not only miniaturize the infrastructure required for mobile networks, but to make it self-sufficient, as well. Long story short, he wants to make a portable device to supply a small city with cellphone service."
Lex sighed. "A device to obliterate all possibility of being left alone."
You chuckled. Lex absolutely hated phones.
"Come on, Lex." You pleated, batting your lashes. "Before AT&T takes the man from me."
"Well," Lex whined. "If that's what you want, my dear."
Happily, you kissed his cheek and hugged him harder. "Thank you."

"It'll be fun, you said." Lex mumbled, as he stopped in front of your room for a second before walking down the hallway in the direction where the phone kept ringing insistently. Thanks to the provisional mobile network you'd developed together, but Lex still cursed the day that device was conceived.

Not as much as the day when you were condemned to the bed you lay in, though.

Not without difficulty, he turned his eyes away from you to stare at the floor, and shoving his hands in his pockets, he continued his path.

But then he noticed it.

Lex stopped in his spot, and took a few steps back.
He stood in front of the door and saw you still asleep. But something was different.
As he remembered, you'd been laying on your back previously but now— you had curled up into a ball.