Loveless (Part Two)

Five days elapsed since that phone call. As usual, Lex made his way to his office. Stopping on occasion to give someone a quick wave, or to search for red jolly ranchers in the candy jars. Just another regular day at work, until—
Lex stopped in his tracks and retreated a few steps, thinking he'd seen something in his peripheral vision. Someone, to be exact.
He dashed inside the waiting room he'd just passed to find you there. Glancing sideways at nothing and with skin pale as paper.
"Y/N?" Lex asked, a shiver running down his spine, but followed by a sense of relief.
His voice startled you, making you snap back to your senses. Incapable of speech at the moment, you just sat there staring at Lex for a second. Then, you surged out of your chair and walked to wrap your arms around him.
"Lex," You sniffled, speaking with a slight tremble.
He flinched at first, but quickly encircled you with his own arms. "Y/N, what's wrong?"
You pressed your cheek to his chest, stifling a sob. "They shot him, Lex." You whispered, your voice breaking. "They killed Jimmy."
"Y/N..." He spoke a shade over a whisper, and held you tight, allowing you to cry freely. "I'm sorry." He grabbed you by the shoulders and studied you, as if checking for injuries. Once satisfied with his examination, and heartbroken by the tears that stood in your eyes. He pulled you back into him, placing a kiss on your hairline. "You're here, Y/N.
You're safe."

Upon arriving in Metropolis, Lex insisted that you stayed with him for a few days. Refusing to leave you alone after such a traumatic event.
Not wanting to go through the hassle of apartment hunting just yet, you accepted and moved into the mansion.
Since, you watched a few days become weeks become months. All spent following around Lex at the company and then home and so on. Soon enough, it felt like back when you were younger. Two inseparable kids running around and staying up all night just talking.
After all you'd been through together, when the time came: it was now Lex, the one to fall for you.

"Y/N," You heard Lex say to you, as you blinked the slumber away on one of many mornings you'd woken up by his side.
"Hi." You replied with a stretch, moving closer to wrap your arms around his waist, unwilling to get out of bed.
He buried himself underneath the covers, holding you tight and kissing your forehead. Then, whispered: "Do you have any idea of how much I love you?"
You looked up to face him. "Hm... a lot?"
"More than anything." He continued. "More than you can imagine."
You smiled, nuzzling your nose into the crook of his neck. "I love you too, Lex."

Later that day, your footfalls echoed through the halls of LexCorp, as you made your way to fetch some documents for Lex. A few people stared at you before turning away to exchange unintelligible words among them.
You figured that they were suspicious as to why Lex and you —his assistant still— seemed to come and go at the exact same time. In the same car.
Initially, you'd felt apprehended, feeling eyes all over you, and gossiping whispers whirling around inside your head.
These days, however, you couldn't bring yourself to care. Not when everything was falling into place to grant you the life you'd dreamed about, alongside Lex.
With a shrug, you kept walking, silencing the voices surrounding you. All but one.
"Do you think Lex had him killed?" You heard a co-worker ask another.
Your first impulse was to freeze in your spot, but you forced yourself not to. Instead, you turned the corner past the staircase ahead and followed the pair. Your presence unnoticed behind the dark tinted glass of the hallway.
"What?" The other co-worker said, a woman you thought worked on the finances department.
"The photographer: Jimmy Olsen, I think was his name." The first voice continued, another woman you didn't know. "He ran off to Africa with L/N, but never returned. And now, mere months later, we have Y/N wrapped around Lex's finger. Interesting, don't you think?"
The girl from finances remained quiet for a moment, seeming to ponder the idea. Then, with a dubious expression, said: "Well, I mean... I don't think it's true. But at the same time... I can't really say Lex wouldn't do such a thing."
She turned to the other girl. "Forget about flowers and candlelight dinners..." She said between playful giggles. "...Get you a man who'll literally kill your ex for you."
You heard them walk away down the hall, laughing, the automated door hissing behind them. All was silent, allowing you to hear your heart hammering in your chest.
They were joking, and you wanted to believe that. But deep down you couldn't help to think that: killing off competition— was not something Lex Luthor was above doing.
Grappling with unwelcome thoughts, you dashed back to Lex's office in a brisk pace, instincts working in full swing.