Chapter 2

Felix flies into the room just as Mercy says she feels like she needs to push and I take that as my cue. Josephine has been wiping sweat off of Mercy's brow and telling her repeatedly that she can do this, she's going to meet her baby soon, everything is okay.

"Thank you man, seriously thank you."

"It's fine but I expect to be the favorite uncle to this little boy or girl." I shake his hand, throwing Mercy one last look and a wink to Josephine who blushes and goes back to busying herself with my sister. Damn she's hot.

I get home just after 2am and take a long hot shower to help relax me. As I step out I hear my phone chime and see a picture of Mercy holding the baby on her chest with a text reading, "it's a boy! Joshua Hero, after his FAVORITE uncle!" Oh man, Titan is going to love that one. I look at the picture again and see Josephine in the background, her nametag hanging in the shot.

Josephine Langford

I'll have to remember that.

I go to the hospital Monday after work to visit Mercy and I'm disappointed when I find that they've been moved to the postpartum unit and that I won't be seeing Josephine.

My parents are already there when I arrive and I catch the end of Mercy's story about the whole ordeal.

" Jo was amazing, like seriously I told her I loved her and that she could make a meditation tape with her calming voice. I said if the baby were a girl we'd name it after her. I think she thought I was kidding but I absolutely was not"

As if on cue the door opens revealing Josephine in street clothes. Tight leggings, running shoes, and a baggy sweatshirt hanging to the tops of her thighs, below her ass. Dammit.

Mercy screams when she sees Jo as she insists she hold the baby.

"Hi guys! I was working tonight and thought I'd stop by and say hi and see how mommy and daddy were doing. I didn't realize you'd have a full house in here" she laughs and her eyes find mine and hold them for just a second too long. Her attention is quickly brought back to Mercy who won't stop talking about how amazing she was and how much she loved her. I get the feeling Josephine isn't quite used to this kind of praise and blushes profusely.

"Hero liked Jo too didn't you Hero?" my sister says bringing everyone's eyes to me. Josephine however doesn't take her eyes off the baby in her arms and just blushes, a small smile adorning her lips.

"What can I say, good taste runs in the family I guess." Everyone chuckles including Josephine, much to my delight.

"Well guys I have to go change into my scrubs and start my shift. I just wanted to come and say hi and congratulations again!" She says walking towards me and handing me little Joshua.

"Oh no... I um... I've never really..." I stutter as she places the baby in my stiff arms. I've never held one, I prefer kids who can walk and talk, not ones who need me to make sure they don't break their necks just lying there.

"Only one way to learn Uncle Hero." She says with a smile and with that she leaves with a quick wave to Mercy and Felix, leaving behind her fresh scent of strawberries and vanilla.

"Felix, go get the baby so Hero can go chase after the nurse. I don't want him dropping my first grandchild so he can go flirt with a girl." My mom says and I'm thankful that not only do not I have to hold this baby because I am literally shitting myself that I'm going to do something wrong but also because I really really want to get Josephine's number.

"Thanks Felix. Thanks mum." I say as Felix takes the baby and I rush out of the room only to see Josephine's retreating frame in the staff area of the hospital as the double doors close behind her.

Fuck me.