Chapter 6

After Josephine left I found no reason to stay at that bar and hailed a cab back to my apartment. I take an exceptionally long shower and decide that if I'm still awake and worked up, she is too.

Hey it's Hero. I wanted to make sure you guys made it home okay and that your roommate was okay.

I stare at my phone, waiting for her response and wondering if she'll read through my bullshit. To be honest I don't give a fuck if her roommate is okay but it sounds better than, hey its Hero and I had to jack off in the shower after almost kissing you.

Eventually, three bubbles pop up and I anxiously await her response.

Yes she's fine, her boyfriend brought us home and she's asleep now, not that I actually think you're oh so terribly concerned about her.

Damn, read me like a book.

Ok you got me, I'm glad she's alright but I am disappointed she interrupted us...

I don't know Josephine that well but I get the idea that she's a little more flirtatious when she's drunk and I selfishly want to benefit from that right now.

Mhmm, I'm sure you're downright devastated about it Uncle Hero. Or should I say daddy?

Oh fuck me.

I take two calming breaths before deciding against asking her what her address is so I can go to her apartment and properly fuck her.

Careful Jo, don't start something you can't finish. I'm hoping that's just enough for her to realize it's something I really really want her to finish.

You didn't finish yet? I did. Twice. Goodnight Hero.

I think I might be in love. Or in over my head, I can't quite tell but I'm willing to find out.

Send me your work schedule ASAP. I'm going to need more to have more than one drink with you. Goodnight Josephine.

I wake up the next morning after a surprisingly good nights sleep. I send Mercy a text saying I ran into Jo at the bar last night and she responds with a sleepy selfie of her and Joshua saying she's happy I'm out hitting on girls while she's up half the night getting peed on.

I laugh and open Instagram, deciding it can't hurt too much to try and find Jo there. To my surprise I see that she's allowed Mercy to follow her on her private account and I wonder if I'll be granted access as well. I request to follow her and send Mercy a text bitching how dare she not tell me she found Jo on Instagram and not tell me.

I have a lazy morning, drinking coffee, making eggs, going on a run, and checking my phone every 30 seconds. I'm supposed to meet up with the guys for a scrimmage and as I'm packing my gym bag I finally get a text from Josephine.

Hi it's Katie, your least favorite person. Just wanted to let you know Jo has been whining all morning how embarrassed she is at what she said last night and how she can never see you or she will "simply die right there". I don't know what happened and it seems she deleted your texts from last night but I am extending a peace offering. Jo and I are getting dinner tonight at a place down the street from our apartment... do your thing hot uncle Hero.

Hmm, maybe I do like Katie. She sends me the time and place and tells me not to text her on Jo's phone anymore because Jo is now out of the shower and if she finds out she will move apartments and never speak to her again. For some reason I believe Jo would be capable of such things so with that I set out for my scrimmage with a smile on my face.

"Yo bruv, what's with the smile, you get laid last night by that Shannon chick?" Morgan calls out as I'm walking towards the team bench.

Huh Shannon, that must've been her name.

"Nah bro, I've been chatting up that hot nurse that took care of Merc. I'm hoping to take her out soon." Everyone turns around, probably to ask more questions but I'm saved by the ref calling to start the game.

After our game is over I hurry to my car, ignoring the guys calling after me to tell them more about this hot nurse. I flip them off without even bothering to turn around and head home.

I get to the restaurant about an hour after Katie told me her and Jo would be eating. After a quick meal at my place and a shower I am dressed in a casual tan jumper, dark jeans, hair slicked back, and my chains around my neck. I see Jo and Katie sat at a table, with Jo's back to me and I see a conspiratory smile spread across Katie's face as she sees me enter. It looks like they are sharing an barely touched brownie sundae and I wonder if Katie is an evil genius and ordered that as a way to keep Jo there with me or if I'm reading too far into this. I watch Katie excuse herself, then send me a wink and a smile and I make my way to Josephine.

Luckily for me Josephine is looking at her phone when I sit down. She doesn't look up just yet and I take this as my opportunity to get her attention.

"So are you gonna follow me back on Instagram or what?"

Her head jerks up at the sound of my voice and I watch the color drain from her face. She whips her head around looking for Katie and she curses under her breath when she sees her settling the bill at the front of the restaurant.

"Fuck me" she says quietly and refuses to look me in the eyes.

"I'm trying to but you didn't text me back." I shoot her a wink and I watch as her eyes grow big, then give me an unimpressed scowl.

"Look" she begins and I see her trying to get out of this. "I was drunk, you were drunk, let's call it what it is and we both move on yeah?"

Oh baby, I couldn't even if I wanted to.

"I meant what I said last night Josephine, I want to get to know you, actually take you out. If something happens between us, great" I try and sound casual when in reality I want something to happen between us more than I care to let on. "If not then we can both move on like you said. But what's the harm in giving me a chance?"

She's thinking. About what I'm not sure but I watch patiently as she worries her bottom lip between her teeth and looks me dead in the eyes. I think she feels it too. A weird pull that I feel when I see her, that makes me want to reach out and touch her, be touched by her, and I hope to fuck she isn't too stubborn to fight it.

"Fine, it looks like my date bailed on me anyway and I would hate to waste a perfectly good brownie sundae" she smiles shyly and raises one eyebrow before calling the waiter over asking him for another spoon for me.

When he comes back she busies herself gathering ice cream, a bit of brownie, and a generous helping of whipped cream on her spooning and holding it up to me as if to cheers our dessert. I chuckle to myself and "clink" our spoons before taking a bite, maintaining eye contact with her until she looks away blushing.

"So, tell me more about your job. I mean, I know you already told me but I'm sure you have some crazy nursing stories" I try and make light conversation because I know she's embarrassed and I want to put her at ease. I want to get back to last night, when things were light and flirty and she was calm and confident.

"You sure you can handle it tough guy. I seem to remember you almost passing out when Mercy was about to give birth." I laugh at her and she goes into a story about delivering a baby on a toilet only to have the dad pass out on top of her and I laugh so hard whipped cream comes out my nose.