Chapter 38

I've been pacing outside of Hero's door for about 10 minutes before he opens it and puts me out of my misery.

"I've been watching through the peep hole since you got here... I waited as long as I could but please, for the love of God come inside so we can talk." He says before moving to the side to give me some room to walk into his apartment. This feels so weird. This isn't how we greet each other. This isn't what we do when I come over after not seeing him. But instead of bringing attention to this fact I scurry past him, sitting down on his couch so we can get right to the point. No sense dragging this out I suppose. He follows close behind, sitting on the other end of the couch where we sit in awkward silence for about 5 minutes before he finally speaks.

"This was way before you. I need you to know that." Oof, bad start. I wince. "Titan wanted us to meet some of Jordan's family so we all went out... I got, really fucked up and I honestly don't remember how it even happened, one second she was asking me to show her where the bathroom was and the next I was sitting on a toilet with my pants around my ankles and she was... well, you know what she was doing. I must've fallen asleep because Felix had to come wake me up in the fucking bathroom and take me home. I don't even remember flirting with her or anything! That's the fucking truth Jo." His cheeks are tinged pink and I fight the urge to try and wipe it away. He's embarrassed because someone took advantage of him? I could kill her. Truly, I could. But I don't say that because there's more that I need him to tell me.

"And what about when you had her here? She was in your apartment Hero, she said she was in your fucking bed." I'm trying not to sound hysterical and I know for a fact I'm not doing a very good job.

"It wasn't like that." He must see me roll my eyes and go to get up because suddenly he's in front of me, clutching my hands to his chest, eyes pleading for me to look at him. "Let me finish. It wasn't like that. I wasn't even here. Jordan and Titan's apartment was being fumigated; I was out of town with some mates for the week and offered them my place so they didn't have to get a hotel room. I guess they invited some people over and she was one of them. She blew up my fucking phone all night with pictures of her in my apartment. Titan fucking booted her out of here and I blocked her number. So yeah, she was here, maybe she was in my bed but I wasn't here. I didn't want her here. I never wanted her here." He takes a deep breath as if to signify that's it. That's the whole truth and nothing but the truth and I'm left reeling at this information.

She's a psychotic bitch. I mean to say it in my head but the way Hero is quietly chuckling and kissing my hands makes me think I said it out loud. I don't care. I want to scream it for the world to hear. She's a psychotic fucking bitch.

"Are you okay?" we ask each other at the same time which would be funny if this situation wasn't so fucked up.

"I'm okay if you're okay." He says quietly, but that's not what I meant.

"No, Hero. Are you okay? What happened to you... that's not right, that should never happen to anyone. Men, women, doesn't fucking matter. What she did to you? I hate her for that more than anything."

He looks at me for a moment before his eyes flutter closed, a small tear gathering at the corners.

"I had Mercy and Felix. They helped. I'm okay now." He says before opening his eyes, still a bit glossy. "Now, are you okay? Are we okay? Or at least on our way to okay?"

"I love you." I tell him. Because before anything else I think he needs to hear that. "I'm okay. We'll be okay. I promise."

After that I find myself pulled onto the floor in his arms, small kisses littered across my face and chest as he whispers how much he loves me. And since I don't think either one of us is capable of much more we fall asleep right there on the floor, holding each other like our future depends on it.