Chapter 24

**TRIGGER WARNING FOR VIOLENCE***

Despite Hatti's protests, Endolynn helped out around the humble homestead as much as she could. Her throbbing ribs did not allow her to do much, but the brace that Mr. Red had made with some sturdy sticks and twine for her arm helped dull at least some pain. Endolynn tried not to fret that there was no healer available to ensure it was set properly. But Hatti felt confident that it had not displaced much, and that would have to be good enough. Hopefully, good enough that it would not have to be re-broken and set properly, as Endolynn feared silently to herself.

Two days after Luke's departure around midday, Mr. Red came home in a hurry, much earlier than expected from his trip to town. His face was red and he was out of breath when he met Hatti and Endolynn out in the little garden that Hatti poured her love and time into.

"Lands sake Mr. Red," Hatti exclaimed when she saw her husband approaching, "Must not have gotten much from the market if you are here this early!"

"There are Balearian guards in town..." Mr. Red stopped and propped himself up on the pole to help catch his breath, "They're searching."

Endolynn's heart immediately started to race, and Hatti paled and fell silent.
"I must leave," Endolynn replied, gathering her skirts and turning to leave.

"Nonsense," Hatti whispered, still watching her husband, "you will never outrun those men."

"Or their dogs," Mr. Red added.

Endolynn pressed her lips together and looked down to the ground thoughtfully.

No, she would definitely not be able to outrun dogs.

"I prepared for this," Hatti said, nodding at Mr. Red as a little of her usual fire returned to her voice, "We will hide her."

"I cannot let you take that risk." Endolynn said firmly, stepping back towards the couple.

"Hush child," Hatti snapped as she looked at Endolynn defiantly, shocking the princess, "Just do as I say."

Dumbfounded and concerned for their safety, Endolynn followed Hatti quickly into the barn. At the very back, she revealed a trap door in the floor that had been obscured by a couple stacked bales of hay that Mr. Red quickly moved.

"There is a ladder that will take you down to the concealed cellar. I already made sure that there is a heavy bear fur waiting for you; wrap yourself in it and it should hide your scent from the dogs."
Shocked by the woman's resourcefulness, Endolynn nodded and proceeded to climb down the ladder into the darkness. It was a slow and painful trip down the ladder. Her ribs screamed out at her in pain, and the broken arm was completely useless. Navigating the ladder with one hand was tricky.

When she touched down, she looked around in the dim light coming from the trap door for the bear skin. After a few moments for her eyes to adjust to the lighting, she found it and called up to Hatti that she was good. The trap door slammed shut, trapping Endolynn in complete darkness except for the thin lines of light that snuck in through seams between floorboards every now and then.
"Now," Hatti's muffled voice could be heard above, "We best wash out these stalls so that the dogs do not go crazy. Thankfully, she has been wearing my clothes, so there should not be too much of a scent of her here."

Endolynn mentally appreciated the forethought to burn her clothes. Now, there was nothing left of hers for the dogs to find.

Endolynn pulled the bear skin around herself and over her head and settled onto the ground. She might as well get comfortable; who knows how long this would take?