Chapter 4

"I need to go to Balear with them."

Alys' statement came out soft, as if she were afraid to speak the works out loud.

Dastrehan stirred beside her, turning onto his side to face her in the darkness. She lay on her back, staring up at the faint outline of the canopy above Dastrehan's bed.

"I know."
Destrehan's voice was strong, but she could hear the regret in his tone. He did not want her to leave either.

Alys nodded in the darkness, trying to strengthen her resolve as her true feelings chipped away at it.

"I have to. Not just to keep you and Tarkam safe from a second war. I owe it to myself. To find out about my family... Or at least, the family I have left."

"I know." He said again.

Alys turned to him, reaching a hand to his strong jaw. The roughness of the stubble on his face was strangely soothing. Maybe because it was so familiarly him.

"I don't want to leave you though."

Dastrehan sighed and reached an arm around her back and pull her closer to him, "I don't want you to leave either."

Alys let him pull her into an embrace and hold her for a few minutes, soaking up his warmth and the feel of her body seeming to melt into his.

"Come with me."

It was not a question- mostly because she knew if it were, it would be turned down.

She knew it was foolish to expect him to come with her. If things were different- if he weren't a king and his kingdom was not at war- maybe it would be different.

"I have to stay here, Alys," his voice held a longing that pierced her heart, "If there was a way I could come and leave things in good hands here, I would."
"What about Rohan?" she asked into his chest, clinging to an impossible hope that somehow he could come with her.

Dastrehan shook his head against his pillow, causing his jaw to rub on the top of Alys' head, "You know I trust Rohan with my life. With your life. But he is not a king, and it would not go over well with my people if I were to leave so suddenly; especially while at war."

"Tarkam is fragile enough," Alys finished for him.

She was more than aware of how serious the situations were in the kingdom. Prince Leoford, Dastrehan's younger half brother, was vying for the throne himself. Slowly collecting some powerful lords to his side before Dastrehan had figured it out. Though he did not have nearly enough support to challenge Dastrehan yet, the threat was still clear and very real.

Especially considering the assassination attempts against Dastrehan over the previous year, and Alys being poisoned by an advisor within Dastrehan's own ranks.

Loyal to Leoford.

Killing their baby.

Alys shivered at the memory. Dastrehan's arms tightened around her.

"How long do you think I'll be expected to stay in Balear?" Alys asked, pushing away the memory of Ayleth's death.

"I'm... not sure." Dastrehan turned onto his back and ran a hand through his hair, "It's so complicated that it's hard to say."

Alys stayed where she was with her head on his chest, listening to his heartbeat. Soaking it in. Memorizing it.

"How long does it take to get there?"

"That depends," Dastrehan made an exasperated sigh, "By buggy at a reasonable pace, a week and a half maybe? By horse back at a faster pace, 4 or 5 days."