Chapter 42

To the relief of everyone in the palace, it was Zaiden's arrival that had triggered the alert. Soldiers assigned to the watch towers had spotted a large group approaching over the hills to the east, much larger than the 50 men Zaiden and Sir Willem had taken with them. At first, they were worried it was a small army Royce had sent to take back the palace, but Endolynn and Leofrick knew it was too soon for her to have heard news of the capture and act. It was not until one of the watchmen was able to identify Zaiden in his spyglass that everyone was able to relax.
Endolynn paced in the courtyard restlessly, resisting the urge to ride her horse out to meet her brother.

Leofrick leaned against a discarded horse wagon, sorting through the contents of his pack to keep himself occupied.
When Zaiden finally stepped through the gate, Endolynn moved towards him, eyeing him carefully to see if he was okay. His face was flushed from the cold and he looked a little thinner than when she had last seen him, but his blue eyes held the same sparkle she knew and loved.
Zaiden embraced his sister, squeezing her hard enough that she coughed. She returned his hug, thankful he was safe.
"So many people," she said breathlessly as he released her. Her eyes asked the questions she did not voice, and a slow grin crept across her brother's face.
"We met some friends along the way," Zaiden admitted, gesturing behind himself, "It seems you have more people loyal to you than you had thought."

"How many?" She barely dared to ask.
"Including the men I had with me when we split up? Over 1000."

Endolynn took a step back, scanning Zaiden's face in shock.

Her brother grinned back at her, but it was not one of his teasing smiles. It was a happy, triumphant smile.
"How will we ever feed everyone?" She asked the question that was really the least important in her mind but seemed the most relevant.

Zaiden chuckled and moved past her, wrapping his arm around his sister's shoulders and pulling her along with him.

"We brought some with us," he replied simply, "But we cannot stay out here and talk. My butt is frozen, and we have a lot to talk about while my people thaw out."

A smile cracked Endolynn's face, happy that Zaiden's mood was so high. It meant that he likely had more good news to report than bad. It also helped keep her mind off the devastation she had caused earlier in the day on the very ground they walked on.

Zaiden's report was indeed good. He spilled out the details to Endolynn and Leofrick painfully slow as he, Rose, and Willem ate and thawed out in the warmth of Caldor's study.
They had met little resistance at the watchtowers they had captured. If anything, Zaiden felt most of the soldiers assigned to the watchtowers seemed relieved that someone was standing up to Royce.
Zaiden and Willem reported only six deaths that occurred in order to keep their advance from being relayed to Royce.
Endolynn felt immediate relief. Six deaths were surely less than what would occur if Royce attacked the summer palace before they were ready for her.

A day outside of the summer palace, Zaiden's growing group had met up with a huge group of villagers also headed towards the palace.
"This older man was in charge of them," Zaiden recounted, his voice a mix of amusement and wonder, "He had a lot of energy and convinced a lot of people to come help you."

Endolynn ducked her head and smiled, knowing full well who her brother spoke of. She made a mental note to seek the man out later and learn his name so she could thank him.

"So, not that we have the palace, what is next?" Willem asked, sounding eager. Endolynn knew the sooner this was over, the sooner Willem and the other men from Tarkam could return home. A brief feeling of guilt washed over her as she watched Willem.
"We need to train our troops and make sure everyone has adequate weapons," Endolynn said, starting to pace around the room as she thought.
"We have some time," Zaiden added, "It should be a bit longer until Royce discovers she has lost contact with Summer Palace and figures out we are here. She will also need time to rally her army."