Chapter 35

Endolynn was successful in avoiding Dastrehan's presence for several days by taking meals in her room and keeping to herself. At first, she was surprised that he had not been seeking her out. Or if he had, he had made sure not to disturb her, and she appreciated that he was giving her space. She needed it.

Nearly a week later, Clement knocked on Endolynn's chamber door. In her hands, she held the message from Krea that they had been waiting for.
Endolynn accepted the small paper and unfolded it, anxious to know the state of her kingdom. She sat down on the nearby sofa as she read, knowing she would likely not want to be standing if the news was not good.
Krea's report was grim. Part of the reason it had been so long since she had been able to write to Clement was that Royce had started a vicious hunt for anyone loyal to Princess Endolynn. According to Krea's best estimate, which was likely conservative, over 50 people in High Cloud Palace had been executed, with many more waiting execution.
Endolynn felt sick to her stomach as she read the words that Krea had scribbled down.
Royce was also planning to have her men go through Balear's biggest cities and villages to hunt out any others loyal to Endolynn.
So, her aunt's ruthless manhunt was not limited to the palace. The death toll would be large.
Endolynn pressed her fingers into the side of her head for a moment while she thought. The guilt she felt was immeasurable.

If I had just died, all of those people would be alive, and no one else would be in danger.

Krea also reported that Royce already was putting plans in motion to invade Tarkam. Though this was no surprise, Endolynn was worried about how fast her aunt was moving. She had half hoped that the woman would take some time to get used to her power and position before jumping to such ambitious tasks.

"Can you see to it that a meeting is called right away?" the princess asked Clement weakly, who had been silently standing nearby while Endolynn read Krea's message. She knew calling together a meeting was out of Clement's usual duties, but at that moment, she had no energy to call for a messenger herself.

Clement nodded quickly, "Who would you like there?"

"Everyone," Endolynn responded, weakly, "Prince Zaiden, King Dastrehan, his advisers. As soon as possible. In the king's study."

Without another word, Clement spun on her heal and was gone.

Endolynn stood slowly, keenly aware of the sick feeling that was slowly but surely building up in her stomach. She had just enough time to run to her basin in her bed chambers before she threw up her midday meal.
Once her stomach was empty, she moved to her mirror and wiped her face with a damp cloth. Her hands were shaking as she released her curls from the ribbon she had thankfully had the foresight to tie her hair up in before she started to vomit.
The ruby ring on her finger sparkled in the reflection as she raked her fingers through her dark locks.
With a sigh, she brought her hands together in front of her chest and looked down at the ring.
She wondered sadly if she should take it off. If Dastrehan noticed, which she knew he would, it would be a clear sign to him that the words she had spoken to him last had been true.

But she also knew it would hurt him, and he was already hurting enough. Perhaps, even more than she could understand.
No, she would keep wearing it. Until he had an answer for her.

Endolynn was still shaky as she walked through the halls toward the king's study.

Somehow, she, Zaiden, and Dastrehan all arrived at the study at the same time. She chided herself, wishing she had had the foresight to take longer to walk through the palace halls.