Chapter 10

Four weeks after Alys had arrived at High Cloud Palace, a package came from Dastrehan to King Caldor. In it, it explained that he intended to visit with some of his advisers as he had told Lord Sadon when he had left with Princess Endolynn. The other Balearian advisers would return with him. He had also enclosed a letter to Princess Endolynn, which King Caldor handed off to her with little concern.

           Alys took it calmly and tucked it into the belt that held the sheath for the sword she now carried with her almost every day. The letter would have to wait to be read in private.  Even though she knew Dastrehan was not foolish enough to write something he would not want read to anyone but her in a letter, she new that just by reading his words she would likely not be able to keep her face composed. She had still made no mention of her relationship, especially the betrothal, to anyone since leaving Tarkam Palace, and had no plan to. The timing would have to be well planned.

           Once she had retired to her chambers and dismissed the maid who had prepared her bath, she sat on her bed and pulled out the letter. Excited, she tore open the sealed envelope and eagerly read;

Alys,

I trust that you are enjoying reuniting with family.

I am currently preparing to leave Tarkam in four weeks time.

I should be in Balear within a month from when you

receive this letter. Rohan, Dimia, Esme, and Joss

are all doing well. Rose is off on a trip with Aldyth to study

healing knowledge in Marniac. She told me to send you her

hello. Rohan will remain behind in Tarkam to ensure the advisors

keep to my orders in my absence. Negotiations have gone better than

I had hoped with the Balearian advisers that stayed behind when

you left and will continue when I meet your father.  I hope you are

well. See you soon,

Dastrehan

           Even though Alys was happy to hear that everyone back in Tarkam were doing well, she could not help but feel homesick.
Yes, she had her family with her in Balear, but she missed Esme and her other friends even more now that she had read Dastrehan's letter. She especially missed Dastrehan.

She thought about writing back, but knew that a letter might not make it back to him before he left Tarkam Palace. She could send it by bird, which she decided against because she worried it might tip her father off to her attachment to the Tarkamite king.

She placed Dastrehan's letter under some garments in her dresser and headed for her bath. Warm, vanilla scented water would help her pick up her spirits. She was halfway through the two months she must endure without Dastrehan; she would make it.

The longer Alys stayed at Balear, the more memories came back to her. King Caldor arranged for visits from people she had known before she had disappeared and tours to areas she had been to try and bring back as much of her memories as possible. She did not see much of her aunt or her cousins; all seemed to disappear for days at a time and would randomly appear at meals after, always together. When the were around, Alys tried on a number of occasions to speak with them when they were around.  Princess Royce would go from looking icy and stern, to being too sweet to be genuine, and Ancel practically ignored his cousin's very existence. The two girls would smile in a seemingly forced manner and exchange pleasantries with Alys, but other than that they would only talk with each other. After every exchange with them, Alys could hear her grandfather's word echoing in her mind: Royce has had her eye on the throne for her boy since the moment you and Zaiden disappeared.