Chapter 15

Endolynn slept in later than usual the next day. Krea roused her, provoking a grown from the tired princess.

"Out late last night?" Krea asked innocently with a hint of a tease in her voice, shaking out a fuchsia dress and laying it across the back of a chair while Endolynn shoved aside the covers and reached her arms for a stretch.

"Prince Jatova insisted on being the last one off the dance floor."

Krea smiled as she poured water into the wash basin. Endolynn moved to the basin and splashed the cold water onto her face and inspected her face in the mirror.

Contempt, she turned and allowed Krea to help her into the dress.

It was a flowy silk, softer than anything she could remember touching. But it was bright- much brighter than the colours she was used to wearing.

Krea was halfway through brushing out Endolynn's hair when a trumpet sounded, startling them both.

"What in the skies..." Endolynn muttered, standing to walk out to her sitting room and the floor to ceiling windows that overlooked the main courtyard and entrance of the palace. More trumpets sounded as went.

"Odd that there would be trumpets at this hour, unless-"

She stopped as soon as her eyes had adjusted to the bright light.

The tall, handsome figure entering through the palace gates was undeniably recognizable.

Dastrehan.

For a few moments, she could not move herself from her spot at the window.

His hair was a little shorter than when she had last seen him, no longer touching his shoulders. His beard was the same; trimmed to be short and well kept. His royal attire was just are purple and regal as she remembered. The ruby jewels of his crown sparkled in the sunlight. He walked beside his horse, guards and advisors close behind.

"Krea," Endolynn tore herself from the window and hurried back to her be chambers,

"We must hurry. King Dastrehan from Tarkam has arrived."

She took the brush from Krea and started moving it quickly through her hair as the young girl seemingly flew around the room, gathering everything they needed.

Breathless and almost shaking with excitement, Endolynn sat in a chair while Krea quickly but carefully applied a concoction to her hair to define her brushed out curls. With speed unbelievable to the princess, Krea applied clear glass beads to whisps of hair before setting Endolynn's elegant crown on her head.

"Anything else?" Krea asked while she helped secure the clasp of the sapphire necklace.

"My ring." Endolynn replied as she stood, gesturing to the box Krea knew it was in.

Krea retrieved it and Endolynn carefully pushed it on to her finger. She had not worn it much since her arrival at High Cloud Palace, fearful that her father or grandfather would ask questions.

The ruby stone gleamed as she wiggled her fingers under a stream of sunshine to inspect it.

Satisfied, she thanked Krea and exited her chambers.

Endolynn's heartbeat roared in her ears as she walked through the halls and stepped out into the courtyard, forcing herself not to run. Her father had already greeted the visiting king, and the two of them stood at the steps of the main entrance of the palace, along with Prince Jatova and several advisers from each kingdom.