Chapter 28

"There you are," Dastrehan's deep voice broke the spell of silence that had blanketed Endolynn and Esme as they soaked up the late afternoon sun. They had their backs to him, so Endolynn turned slightly to look over her shoulder and smile at him.
"You were the one who told me to enjoy the gardens today," she laughed as she reminded him, bouncing Joss on her lap.

"Even I get lost in the many gardens of the palace," Dastrehan chuckled back. But then his eyes fell to the baby in her lap and the smile on his face faded.

She knew instantly that seeing Joss reminded him of Ayleth.

With a pang of guilt and her own pain threatening to surface, she handed Joss back to his mother.

"Thank you for the pleasant company," she thanked her friend and forced a grateful smile before excusing herself.

She reached up and Dastrehan grasped her hand, pulling her gently to her feet in front of him.
"Sorry," he murmured, still watching Joss over Endolynn's shoulder, "Seeing you hold him reminds me of what we lost."

"I know," she said sadly, rubbing a hand up and down his arm.

He shook himself and met her eyes briefly before turning and offering his arm. She took it and let him lead her out of the garden.

"I need your presence at a meeting with my advisors before the evening meal, if you are up to it."

Endolynn was not so sure she as up for it, but after leaving everyone hanging for the last couple weeks, she knew she had to give them something.

"Of course," she agreed. Dastrehan let out a breath in relief that she had not realized he had been holding.
"Dastrehan," she pulled her arm out of his as they entered his study and stopped walking, "You can take a moment if you need it."

He stopped and turned to her, his gaze off in the distance. His jaw was flexed, and his face seemed tight.
"Is this about Ayleth, or something else?"

It hurt just to say her name, but she did not want Dastrehan carrying burdens to himself.

He nodded, still not meeting her eyes.
She leaned into him then, putting her head against the top of his chest and wrapping her arms tightly around his torso in an embrace.
He seemed to soften slowly, wrapping his arms around her shoulders, and letting some of his weight rest on her. She felt his lips press against the top of her head.

As quietly as possible, the guards and servants in the room exited to give them privacy, for which Endolynn was incredibly grateful.
For a few minutes, they stayed like that in silence, soaking in each other's comfort.
"It always hits me harder than I expect," Dastrehan murmured into her hair, "Every time I think I have moved past it, the pain comes crashing back."

Endolynn listened, squeezing him a little tighter in response.

"I do not think it will ever go away completely," she whispered back, "And I am not sure I want it to. I never want to forget her. She is a part of us forever."
Dastrehan nodded but did not reply.

They stood holding each other until the advisors arrived.
"I see we are back to where we were before," one of the advisors commented coolly, causing Endolynn to pull away from Dastrehan, and earning a glare from the young king.
Annoyance at being disturbed and borderline scolded by one of Dastrehan's advisors prickled at her, but she decided to let it go. So did Dastrehan.
The men found places to stand or lean against walls, and Dastrehan moved to his chair behind his desk. Endolynn chose the sofa nearby that she had spent many a time on in the past.
"It is good to see you up and about, Your Highness," Rohan said to her after she sat, "I was most worried."
"We all were," the snarky advisor added, "And continue to be."