Chapter 49

Rohesia and Dastrehan oversaw everything regarding securing the palace after Endolynn had killed Royce.
The royal siblings were in no space to be in charge of anything.
Warrick silently worked on Endolynn's leg while Rose tended to Zaiden's wounds.

They had moved into the palace and were settled in their father's study. Krea stood by loyally, waiting to help anyone who needed it.

When Warrick finished on her leg, he asked questions about her head. Endolynn answered, but she was not paying attention. She felt physically ill thinking about how their grandfather had been alive this whole time, dying right when she had almost retaken the palace. But there was nothing Warrick could do about how she felt.
Dastrehan stepped into the room, clearing his throat in case anyone had not heard his footsteps approaching. He stopped just inside the door.
"Everything is being taken care of," he said carefully, as if the wrong words would send Endolynn over the edge. She was staring blankly at the floor as Warrick fussed over her.
"Grandfather?" Zaiden asked weakly, looking up at the young king questioningly.
"I took care of that as well," Dastrehan stepped a few feet further into the room, "There was already a spot for him to be lain to rest."
"Next to Mother," Endolynn filled in for her brother.
Dastrehan nodded silently to confirm she was correct.
"Oh," Endolynn sucked in a breath and brought a hand up to her chest.

"What?" Warrick asked quickly as he took his attention away from her head, immediately concerned he had missed something, "Where does it hurt."
Endolynn waved him away with her other hand, shaking her head slightly, "Not that."

Zaiden frowned at his sister, concerned her head was getting worse again.

"What is it, Lynnie?"

She took a few moments to form the words, having a hard time processing the emotions she was feeling, "I do not even know where Father's grave is."

She dissolved into tears, bringing her head to rest in her free hand.
Zaiden looked sad as what she had said hit him, but he was more concerned about her current state.
Rose stood from the stool she had been sitting in while stitching Zaiden up and motioned silently for the others to follow her.
They complied, but Krea stayed with Endolynn, crouching down to put her arm around the princess's shoulders in an attempt to comfort her.
Rose walked a little way down the hall after turning out of the study to avoid their voices carrying back to Endolynn.
"I have never seen her like this," Zaiden said before Rose spoke. Then, cocking his head to the side, added, "But I guess I have missed a good chunk of her life."

Dastrehan nodded grimly, running his hand through his hair, "I have not seen her like this since Ayleth died."

Rose nodded, shooting the king a sympathetic glance.
"She has been through a lot," Warrick reminded them in a simple manor, though it was not necessary, "Seeing her grandfather be killed right in front of her when she thought he was already dead is more than she was prepared for."
"So what do we do?" Zaiden looked to Rose, reaching for her hand.

Rose clasped his hand and gave it a little squeeze, "There is nothing we can do other than take care of her. She needs time to grieve and heal."

Warrick was nodding, "And for now, Prince Zaiden should be the one dealing with any matter that is serious. Princess Endolynn needs to rest. Her kingdom will be there when she is ready."
Zaiden sighed. He did not like going behind his sister's back, but he knew the healers were right. They knew better than he did about such things.
"I will stay a little while longer to help you get comfortable with running the palace," Dastrehan offered, feeling useless in every other way.

Zaiden looked at him gratefully, relief on his face.

"You also need to take it easy," Rose reminded him, nudging him with her shoulder gently.
"Yes well," Zaiden took a breath and shook his head, "I think I am better off than Endolynn is right now."