16. fish and chips

December 31st

The weather was a bit worse today. It was colder than the previous couple of days and the added wind made the cold sink deep into your skin. It stung at you with a bitterness and made your fingers numb.

"Bloody hell." Tommy spoke quietly, pushing his face deeper into the collar of his jacket as another gust of wind raked through the street. His hands were shoved into his pockets, desperately trying to keep the cold out.

"I told you to bring gloves!" Tubbo nagged at Tommy.

You noticed the shorter boy's rosy cheeks, almost completely hidden by his white scarf. He was wearing a woven hat the same color as his scarf. His green jacket looked worn, the color was faded and there was a small rip bur the left sleeve, probably unintentional. His hands hung loosely at his sides, covered by black gloves. He was clearly more prepared for this weather than you or Tommy.

"Tubbo how the fuck are you not freezing right now?" You complained, bumping your shoulder against his as your teeth chattered.

He laughed and held up his hands, "Heat warmers."

"No way, give me one!" Tommy shouted, pushing in between you and Tubbo.

"You didn't bring gloves! They're just gonna lose their heat if I take them out right now!" Tubbo yelled, dodging Tommy's hands and running further ahead.

You laughed at their antics as they chased each other around, shouting threats at one another and dodging in between the other civilians passing by.

After twenty minutes in what was probably the iciest part of London, you all finally reached your destination.

Staring up at Big Ben, your eyes drifted to a near by stand, composed of all types of British souvenirs. You saw wallets, hats, scarfs, shirts, sweaters, even dog sweaters, all with the bright flag of England embroidered on each of them.

The man running the stand saw you looking and immediately sprung into action.

"Looking for anything specific?" He asked with a thick British accent, similar to your boyfriends.

"No not really, just looking for now, thanks." You said with a polite smile.

Talking to people selling you things had always been annoying. They seemed so overly personal, so energetic, it was overwhelming. This man was no exception.

"You look like you would love our sweaters, they're on sale you know! Or we have mugs, or bumper stickers, or key chains. Really anything else you could ever want-" He was interrupted by a certain blond suddenly pulling you lightly by the back of your jacket.

"No thanks mate, I think we're all set actually. Cheers." Tommy replied for you, waving politely to the man.

You glanced quickly away, not wanting to see the look on the mans face as you two rushed off.

"How do you always do that?" You laughed, looking over at the brit whose cheeks were now very bright red from the crisp air.

"Do what?"

"Find me at just the right time?"

"I'm a bit of a knight in shining armor, I guess." He winked, as you rolled your eyes and shoved him playfully.

You caught up to Tubbo and three of you took a short tour through Big Ben, or what you were later told was renamed the Elizabeth Tower in 2012. Normally you had never enjoyed feeling like a tourist, a person so out of place, trying to explore a country that wasn't really yours, but it didn't seem to bother you this time. You couldn't help but feel like you belonged here, next to your best friends, walking around this country that really shouldn't feel this familiar yet.