Chapter 40: The Save

Pic above is Cory (AKA Nicole Kidman)

Chapter 40: The Save

Everyone set aside their differences to get me to safety. It took a while and we were almost exposed multiple times, but we got to the unfamiliar truck. There was only one seat, and it took a long time for them to sort out who was sitting where. Denny drove, then next to him was Kenny, then Cory, then me. Cory kept a protective arm around me and fell asleep.

I was more uncomfortable. I've always known how I was going to act when I finally met her. I was going to confront her and ask her why. Why did she leave me?

That changed after my memories resurfaced. The question changed to; 'Why did you do it?'

Now that I was actually in her presence, I was...dumbstruck. I didn't know what to say. I couldn't say anything.

I longed for Kenny's and Denny's warmth, but all I got was Cory's cold side. I didn't want to wake her for fear she'd snap at me, but I really wish she'd get off me.

I would never say that out loud.

By the time we got back into town, my arm was asleep and my butt was numb.

We passed home and went straight to the police station.

We hadn't even parked when I jumped out. I left Cory and followed the Aiden's into the building. I'd take the cops over Cory any day.

As soon as we walked in, everyone started cheering and clapping. Denny steered me to a back room. I passed a lot of back pats and 'Congratulations on getting back safe!' and 'good jobs!'

As soon as the door closed, the noise quieted. I collapsed into a chair and relaxed.

...Which lasted about two seconds. Cory came in and I sat up and looked at the ground.

Denny and Kenny filled in their side of the story, plus what Bruce and Racheal told them. When they finished, I told them what I could. I spoke quietly as Cory wandered around the room admiring the awards and pictures along the walls.

"I can't tell you how glad I am that you came." I said, but hesitated near the end.

Kenny caught it. "But..."

I sighed. "But why is she here?" I didn't have to specify on who. They knew exactly who I was talking about and glanced at said 'she'.

Denny glanced at me confused. "I thought you wanted to find her."

I sighed. "I thought I did, too," I admitted. "But now that the real thing's in front of me..." I looked up. "I just...I can't. I want nothing to do with her."

Both men frowned in concern.

"You've been in and out of juvie looking for this woman." Denny stated. "What changed?"

"I don't know." I admitted. "Maybe it was the memories that resurfaced. Maybe she's not who I thought she was. Maybe she's a stranger. I thought I wanted to be her son again. But now..." I glanced up at her and shook my head unable to find words.

The room was quiet again. Then the door burst open and one of Denny's colleagues walked in.

"We have a problem." He said.

"What is it?" Denny stood up and walked out with the other guy. Kenny sat next to me trying to comfort me. That is, until his phone started ringing. He sighed and excused himself, also leaving.

That left me and Cory in the room. Alone. After a second, she sat next to me and took my hand.

"You have no idea how much I wanted to take you back." She said. I wasn't sure whether to believe her or not. "All those years I watched you suffer in that awful Foster home. I really did, but...I'm just not stable enough.