Chapter 51: The Visit

Kenny's POV

I listened to the sound coming from my phone that was sitting on the table in front of me. Denny and I decided to break a little rule, which I'm starting to wonder if it was good for me. He'd called my phone, and hidden it in his pocket so that I could listen to what was going on.

My leg bounced up and down anxiously. The silence was killing me. I could mostly just hear footsteps, breathing, and quiet commands, but that's what scared me. It was mostly silent. Normally, the FBI alone would handle situations like this, but they were shorthanded, so sent a couple available hands and took some officers from our town with.

There was a series of knocks, and then a loud crash. I couldn't tell who was shouting. I stood and started pacing, not realizing I was biting my nails until I tasted blood. I quickly folded my arms tightly around my chest and bit my lip instead. After a few moments of silence, my teeth punctured my lips.

I forced myself to stop, sit, and hold still. Everything was going to be ok. It was going to be fine.

More shouts, and shuffling.

"Oh, my—." Came Denny's voice. It was low and full of concern. My heart sped up. What had he found?

"Oh, no."

A few hours later, I was in the hospital, sitting by the bed. I held his hand tightly. Denny knelt by me, holding my hand.

Ethan.

He was here. He was safe. He was alive.

I didn't stop the tears as they fell. We both cried. I had a headache from how hard I'd been sobbing just hours before, but I hardly noticed.

We had Ethan. We had him!

And we weren't ever letting him go.

He was unconscious when they found him, chained to the floor. He was battered and bruised, and his hair had dirt and grime in it, but he looked as beautiful as ever. They took him to the hospital and cleaned him up. His rib had cracked again, and his stomach, chest, and face had bruises all over. The good news was there had been no broken skin, besides a few cuts and scrapes here and there.

But he would live.

Now we just had to wait for him to wake up.

Jeremy and Jackie stopped by a few times, and so did some friends from school, but they all left. I didn't. I would never leave his side again. Even if that meant no sleep. Denny didn't even bother trying to get me to sleep. Instead, he stayed up with me, and even though he did end up falling asleep, I was grateful.

I was watching his chest rise and fall, the beeping monitor beeping steadily, when the door opened. I glanced up, then did a double take and jumped up.

I moved in front of the bed protectively. "Get out. Before I wake up my husband who will arrest your ass on the spot." My voice was hoarse, and I probably had circles under my eyes, but I didn't care.

"Kenny, please, let me—"

"Cory, get. Out." I grit my teeth to stop myself from jumping her and ripping her hair out. She didn't deserve to be let free, but she was still Ethan's mother. Despite what he says, I know, deep down, he cares about her in some way.

"I don't think he knows." She blurted.

I paused, curiosity getting the best of me. "Knows what?"