Chapter 28: The Art

Chapter 28: The Art

I hauled an easel, a canvas, a pallet and a few colors into the music room. Not wanting to exclude myself, I set up a near Bruce and the Drama/Music club. He and the others watched carefully as I started. I started with simple strokes. They occasionally broke into song—which I thought was hilarious—and cheered me on.

A few others actually brought more easels in and painted next to me.

"Why don't you use an apron?" Bruce asked when I was halfway through.

"Because..." Kenny doesn't. Carter made me the last time I painted. I don't really want to. "I don't like them." Bruce nodded understandingly.

The room filled with normal chatter and the occasional words from the drama club.

"So how come I've never heard of this club?" I asked Bruce.

He shrugged. "You either stumble across it yourself, or someone tells you. I guess you're never around in the music room after school to have found it."

"Well I'm not very good at any form of music, so I'd had no need to come here after hours." I said.

"Everyone here wasn't very good at music, but after spending so many weeks, they got pretty good." He reasoned. "Maybe you should try."

I hummed. "I guess. I think, more than anything, I'd like to be able to sing."

Bruce nodded approvingly. "That's been the most popular. Ms. Daisy comes usually around Fridays to be a vocal coach." He sighed. "She's got the dreamiest voice."

"Hey!" Rachael complained from across the room. "I thought I did!"

"Next to you. Hers doesn't compare!" He shouted. She laughed and shook her head before turning back. He sighed again. "Rache really does have a gorgeous voice."

"If Jackie were here, she'd probably say something like, 'Bruce, you're more hopelessly in love than Ethan.'" I said, lightly laughing. He didn't say anything. I glanced up. "What's wrong?"

He looked down. "We haven't gotten to that part yet." He admitted shyly.

I switched my paintbrush to my other hand and patted his back. "You'll get there." I encouraged. He half smiled.

"Thanks." We paused. Then he looked over at my painting. "Whoa."

I glanced at it. "What?" I looked it over. "Is something wrong?"

"No...It's..." He gaped, trying to find words. "Rache, babe, come here." He called. She glanced up, said something to Jacob (I think—I still don't know everyone) and walked over to Bruce.

"What's up?" She asked, walking around the group sitting on the floor near me. She glanced at her painting and her eyes widened. "Oh, wow!"

"What?" I glanced over it again. I didn't look weird. It just looked like...

"Is that who I think it is?" Bruce asked.

I glanced nervously at him. "Um, who do you think it is?"

"Oh, my...It is!" Rache exclaimed.

"That's Kenneth Dalman, AKA Ken-Dal!" Bruce exclaimed. I glanced at it.

"I...I guess it is." I frowned. I hadn't realized I was painting him.

"Oh, look at his eyes!"

"That smirk is just..."

"How do you know him?"

I bit my lip. "I uh..." This is a safe place...right? "I may or may not be involved with him."