Chapter 57: The Preparations

A week went by. And another. Then a month. Then three months. Kenny's birthday passed. Then Jackie's.

Nine months since that day came and went. I was getting nervous. It'd been almost a year, and still nothing. Was this wedding even happening? Not to mention Kenny would randomly haul me to the truck and drive on nights none of us were busy. I got my hopes up, and then we just ended up having a picnic or seeing a movie or something.

The school decided to end early this year, in April. It was still March, but I was so ready to graduate. Denny wanted me to find a college to go to, but I was done with school. I told him I wasn't too worried about making it in the world without college; mostly because I planned on working at restaurants or riding off Kenny's wallet (which sounded worse than it really is). He'd just laugh and leave it alone.

Jackie was looking for colleges, and was pretty serious, up until her mother woke up. She practically dropped everything to tend to her. Tony was at her side, tried his best to keep her in school, and helped fund the hospital bills, especially when Jackie's Aunt started losing money.

I wanted to help, but Kenny didn't want me using all my money (or his) for that, so I did what I could. Buying lunch, paying for her morning coffee(s), and even sometimes getting her groceries when neither she nor Tony could.

When the school started throwing on last minute assignments and tests, I started getting more stressed. April 5th started the last week of school, and with my anxiety high enough as it is, I was barely sleeping and eating very little. Denny helped me study, since Kenny was hopeless.

April 6th came and went. A lot of tests were taken. I felt pretty good about them.

April 7th, I saw Jackie her happiest she'd been for a couple months. She was whispering with Tony and scrolling through her phone when I invited them over for a movie and to study with Jackie. They kept glancing over at me. I ignored them.

April 8th. The last and biggest test came up, and we got our other test scores back. I did pretty good, which put me in a pretty good mood. That night, I sat with Kenny while he continued the third Tiger's Curse book. 

April 9th. Last day of school. I was really excited. The day went by pretty fast, and soon enough, it was over. And so was school.

April 10th. Graduation. Speeches and robes and hats in the air. Goodbyes, and pictures, and memories for life. Kenny, Denny, and I had a quiet night under the stars to celebrate.

The Aiden's anniversary was in the next week, and I wanted to throw a party, but Kenny wouldn't let me. Something about me being 'stressed enough as it is'. I ignored him and had started gathering little party supplies here and there any time I had the chance.

However, I was woken up really early the day before their anniversary. Kenny had hurried me to the truck early morning. Denny was already waiting inside, with multiple suitcases in the back. Too tired to say much, I fell back asleep on Kenny's lap while Denny drove.

I woke up hours later. I saw only darkness, and started to panic, but I felt Kenny's hand on my back and him and Denny talking quietly and relaxed. I looked around, but still only darkness. Was I going blind?

"Ethan, relax." Kenny chuckled, feeling my tense muscles. "It's just a blindfold."

I scowled, even though he probably couldn't see it. "You and your stupid blindfolds." I grumbled. Both Kenny and Denny laughed. I shook my head and changed the topic. "Where are we?" I sat up and leaned against Kenny.