Chapter 12

Audenzia's POV:

A week has gone by, and a hectic one at that. After Xander and I exposed Matthew to our families, he has been in one of our warehouses being tortured for information. I wish I could say I feel bad for him, but I don't. Between Xander and I, we haven't spoken at all.

This morning I heard Matthew had cracked and spilled lots about The Cobra's, which makes me frustrated for some reason. I was tortured far worse for sixteen years and I would do it again over telling the enemy anything about my family or mafia. I have no respect for snitches, I don't care how much pain you are in.

He is a coward.

The good thing is we know where several Cobra warehouses are, and spent all yesterday planning attacks.

Of course our families, more like my brothers and father, were furious we went behind their backs. We left out the part of me being drugged, and I am thankful we did. If we didn't, my father would make us pack our things and probably break our alliance with the Italians.

It may sound dramatic, but he is serious when it comes to our families protection. Especially me, being his little girl.

Refocusing on what I'm doing, I have to go back a little and fix the previous bombs I made just now due to me not paying attention. Right now I'm just making simple bombs for the Cobra warehouses since I haven't been assigned any other things to do.

I haven't taken a job as The Reaper in weeks, and I miss it, but I know I can't go off right now. Not only is it dangerous, but the Romano's would definitely piece together that one of us is The Reaper if I struck while in Sicily.

"The fuck are you doing!" Xander snaps, storming into the room and grabbing the half-made bomb from my hand. I must have spaced out again.

"You're gonna explode yourself" he muttered, rewiring the wires I now notice were put together wrong. I just roll my eyes and start another bomb,  making sure to pay attention. I was never too good at making bombs, especially when I am zoned out.

Xander sets the bomb down on the table, watching my fingers work on the bomb like he is making sure I do it right. "Can you not?" I hiss at him, not bringing my eyes up from the bomb in my hands I am configuring.

"You are shit at making bombs, I'm trying to keep you alive."

Rolling my eyes at his words is a second nature at this point, because I did it again. He was next to me already, but now he spun me around quickly, my back to the table and him inches away.

"Don't fucking roll your eyes at me again." He sounded angry, but spoke just above a whisper.

"I'll do what I want." I say, turning back to the table making him fall back a step.

I twisted two wires together and setting the finished bomb in a pile with other completed ones, feeling his presence behind me, I'm nervous to mess up. I reach for my pile of gunpowder to start another when he whispers in my ear, "Why are you nervous?" I can tell there is a stupid smirk on his face at his words.

"I'm not—

"Your hands are shaking, love" he reaches around me and grabs my hand, steadying it. He is so close behind me, his arms are wrapped around me. I hope he can't feel how fast my heart is beating.

"Do I make you nervous?" He whispers against my ear in an amused tone, his free hand snaking around my waist.

"What are you—" his hand traveled from my waist to my upper thigh, then slowly inwards. His fingers made circles on my inner thigh and I found my breathing become heavy. I wanted him to stop, I wanted to push him away, but I didn't. I couldn't. I hate people touching me, so why did his touch feel comforting?

"Hey Audie are you— what the fuck is going on?!"

I turned to see a very frustrated Isaac. He stormed over and practically shoved Xander away from me, which did nothing but rile Xander up. "What's your deal?" He snapped at Isaac, hitting his shoulder.

"My deal is you feeling up my little sister!"

"Isaac he was showing me how to fix the bomb I messed up." I said casually, pretending to not know what he was talking about. In truth I had no idea what happened, or what he was trying to do by...... touching me there, but I knew I couldn't handle Isaac telling stuff like this to my father.

Isaac looked on edge, like he didn't fully believe me. "If I ever see you near her again I will—

"You'll what?" Xander stepped forward, towering over Isaac who was pretty tall at 6'2. Isaac is a big guy, with muscles that would scare most men, but Xander had him beat by a lot.

This wasn't a fight Isaac would win.

"Xander don't" I stepped in, shooting him a glare. "You two go look at the blueprints of the warehouses while I finish up in here okay?" I said, hoping they would both go.

Isaac released a sigh, meaning he wasn't going to push the matter right now.

Thank goodness. I silently thought.

"Come on" Isaac said, leading Xander out of the room. Xander didn't turn back or even glance at me on his way past me and out the door, which just reminded me of something I needed to be reminded of.

He does not care about me, he is working with me and that's it. Anything he tries is just because he is a playboy who wants in girls pants. I will never let him touch me again.

Besides, he wouldn't want me anyway. I've seen the models he brings in an out of the mansion. They looking nothing like me, and I mean nothing.

I find myself feeling stupid for believing he was trying something with me, I mean he has models lined up to be with him, I'm not even on his radar.

Xander's POV:

Isaac is pissed. I mean I understand why, but that still doesn't mean I'm going to accept any attitude from him.

I wasn't even going to do anything with her, even if I wanted to. Which I don't.

Something about seeing her nervous at my touch made me giddy, which is embarrassing for me to admit.

Over the past few days I've tried to think of things that would explain her. Like why she rarely talks or why she is so cold. I mean she has been talking more and more, but still not nearly as much as a normal person. Most of the time she responds to me with an eye roll or just full on ignores me. It makes me so mad. Something about people who use head gestures like nodding or shaking their head frustrates me. The thing is, when she does that it's not out of fear to speak around me like others do, it just seems like a second nature to her.

That's why I find myself wondering why? She grew up with probably the one of the most loving families, and I can't imagine her father or brothers letting anyone touch her. But how does she have those scars then? I saw them at the masquerade and at the club last week, but I didn't bring them up. I have scars too but I know I hate when people ask about them.

She also was very vague when talking about how she met Harper, and her past with the Cobra's.

I know something bigger happened then they are letting on, I just need to figure out what.

———————
Thank you so much for reading!

Also I'm soooo thankful for 5k reads!

I love y'all so much

Also regarding chapter length....I normally aim for around 1200 words but do y'all think it's too short BC if so I can work on making them longer. Just let me know!

1359 words