Chapter 42

Audenzia's POV

"Is everything okay?" Cori asks me once we sit down. We are at a little cafe downtown for lunch. I nod and sip my coffee, not feeling like talking.

I feel bad for Cori, I've been cold to him today because of what happened with Xander. I know it's not Cori's fault, but something inside of me blames him. It's awful, I know Xander is at fault but when I look at Cori I see how angry and hurt Xander is and it hurts me.

Cori sits across from me, placing down a steaming hot croissant onto the table. "I ordered a chocolate one for us to split since they're huge." He smiled at me, slicing the croissant down the middle, releasing an intoxicating chocolate scent and another stream of smoke. I've never been a huge fan of chocolate, but I'm not going to complain.

"Do you like it?" He asks, looking to me expectantly as I take a bite. I nearly spit it out because of how hot it was, but I managed to swallow it. "It's hot" I say, wiping my face with a napkin. Cori laughs at my reaction, "You have to blow on it" he says in a 'duh' tone.

We talked and ate the croissant bit by bit until the plate is empty and it's around noon. Even though we called this a 'lunch' it was more like a lake breakfast since we only ate pastries.

We walked outside the shop onto the street, where crowds of people walked back and fourth. Cars sped down the street, creating small gusts of wind. I look above me and admire the view of the city from below. I will never get sick of looking at the towering buildings of New York.

"Do you have your car here?" Cori asked me as we start to walk. I shake my head, "I got dropped off. I will just call a limo."

"Nonsense, I'm parked in the lot a few blocks over. I can take you home." He says. I know I shouldn't allow my employee to drive me home, but I also don't want to have to inconvenience one of our men to come get me. "Fine" I say, walking with Cori.

We reach a parking garage and have to walk up a few levels to where Cori parked his car. We climbed in and immediately started descending the levels until we were on the street, speeding by like every other vehicle.

"Address?" Cori asks, handing me his phone while keeping his eyes on the road. I grab the phone and type in my address before plugging it into the car. The automated voice fills the silent car in seconds with directions.

It's about a twenty five minute drive to our house outside the city. "Damn your crib is nice." Cori gawks at the mansion when we pull inside the gates, "Expected, though of the Lucesi's." He adds.

He parks in one of the empty spots in our driveway. "I had a good time today" he says, looking at me right in the eyes. I give him a weak smile, "Me too"

Suddenly Cori leans close to me and cups my face in his hands, pulling my lips to his. I instantly pull away and slap him across the face. "What the fuck!" I scream at him.

"I'm so sorry" he says in a panicked voice, "I thought I was reading the situation correctly" he curses himself, his face bright red. I grab my bag from below the seat and open the door to get out. "Audenzia please I'm sorry" I can hear Cori speaking as I shut the door. I don't care if I'm overreacting but I'm not ready to kiss someone else. More so that someone else being Cori the man I convinced Xander had no feelings for me.

I get inside and lock the front door, walk down the hall, and peer through a window. I wait until Cori drives away to relax a little bit.

"You spying on someone?" I turn to see Xander leaning against the doorframe. I'm in one of the houses many offices, probably looking weird squatting and staring through curtains and watching the driveway. I stand up straight and just look at him. His hair is wet and messy, he wears a suit and nice shoes, making me curious as to why he is so dressed up.

Of course I can't ask him that, I'm the one who wanted a break from him.

I clear my throat before talking, "Nothing" is all I can say. He looks me up and down, sending chills down my spine. "You look nice" he comments. I can't help but blush at his compliment. "Same to you."

He walks over to me, lifting my chin up to look at him. "You're going to be late" he says, catching me off guard. "What?" I say, stepping back. I have absolutely no idea what he is talking about.

"The spring formal for the company"

"That's tonight?!" I nearly scream, remembering how my mom told me about this last week. Every year all of our employees, workers, and men all gather and celebrate the success of our Mafia. He tugs on his sleeve and glances at the watch on his wrist, "It's in half an hour, actually. We are going early to set up."

I don't waste any more time, I just run past Xander and book it up the stairs.

I quickly slip into a floor length sparkly dress that is lower cut than I liked but it would have to work. I already had makeup on from lunch, so I just touch it up before straightening my hair. On my way out of my room I grab a pair of heels and decide I will just slip into them in the car. Everyone is waiting at the bottom of the stairs for me, making me feel slightly guilty.

I make brief eye contact with Xander as I go down the stairs, but look away. His hair had dried and was now in loose, messy curls. "Finally" Isaac says in an annoyed tone.

We file into two different limos, and just my luck Xander is right next to me. "You look stunning" Xander whispers to me.

Once we get close, I slip into my heels and prep myself for the paparazzi waiting for me outside the doors if the limo. At every big event there are dozens of reporters desperate for any information on our lives, I hate it.

Luckily it never lasts long, just a walk into the building with nonstop flashing lights. Once I'm inside, there are no paparazzi allowed so it's all clear.

"Don't you love this?" My mom loops her arm with mine as we descend into the ballroom, "It's pretty." Is all I say to her, she scoffs. "You need to lighten up, dear. Ask Xander to dance." We walk until we reach the tables at the back of the room, filled with men and women drinking and talking. I don't say anything to my mom, because it would be too hard to explain that Xander and I are on a break.

Soon she breaks away from me to go mingle, and I find my way to the bar. I sit on a bar stool and ask the bartender for a glass of water. Once I get it, I scan the room. I see my brothers and father standing towards the back, all talking with some of the men from our accounting departments. My eyes land on a familiar black haired boy, with his arm wrapped around a gorgeous blonde girl I've never seen before.

They dance across the floor, causing me to turn and ask the bar tender for a round of shots.