Chapter 29

Xander's POV:

I felt awful for what I said to her. I was in a bad enough mood since Fred and Victor managed to outsmart us another time, and I was feeling guilty already for not being able to protect her.

I'm trying to imagine she was with a guy while I was in her conditions, and just the thought of it makes me realize I would have reacted far worse. In fact I probably would have beat the shit out of the guy.

Did I really just tell her she was weak compared to Laila? Some girl I met two days ago?

Laila woke up two days ago and said she needed someone to talk to after so long of not talking to anyone and I figured why not. Audenzia had been asleep for a week and I didn't think it would hurt, I thought it might help me better understand what Audenzia went through.

We talked all day and when night came she couldn't fall asleep so I just sat and talked with her until she drifted off.

She was completely different from Audenzia. She almost never stopped talking, and was so confident in herself it took me aback at first.

"Xander?" A voice calls out to me when I'm almost at the end of the hall. I turn and see Laila peeking out from her room. "I heard your argument" she says, not moving.

I'm not in the mood to talk to her right now. "Fuck off" I say, not caring that it's rude and uncalled for since she did nothing wrong.

This time she emerges from her room and comes up to me, "Didn't your sister tell you I asked you to see me?"

Sister? Oh she is talking about Audenzia.

"Audenzia is my girlfriend." I say blatantly, a part of me knows she knows that but is just playing dumb.

She laughs, "Oh my gosh she just looked so young! I didn't take you as the type to date kids."

"Don't talk about her, now go back to your room" I snap, turning to leave. "I can't sleep without you" she says in a sadder tone. She turns and goes back to her room.

I groan, running my fingers through my hair in frustration.

Where was I even going? I didn't know, but I knew that a mindless conversation would take my mind off things.

With that thought, I turned and went into Laila's room.

Audenzia's POV:

On a normal night I couldn't sleep. Now after a big fight with Xander and memories of the past week replaying in my mind, sleep seemed impossible to achieve. I have peeked out my window several times, each time still seeing Xander's car parked outside on the dim street, telling me he is still here.

I imagine him sitting in the lobby maybe just as restless as me. I know he didn't mean to say what he did but I guess that's what he really thinks of me.

I get out of my bed and see Xander's phone still on the nightstand is going off. He must have left it when he left.

I checked to see what was making it go crazy and saw ten missed calls from Geo, and several texts telling him to get to the house now.

Pushing away our fight earlier, I grabbed his phone and decided this was more important. Plus, just giving him his phone back wasn't me apologizing or forgiving him.

I looked and saw that it was nearly 4AM, and just hoped that he was awake.

Right when I left my room I went down the hallway and was met with an empty lobby.