Chapter 10

Gavin watched Hunter ride in front. He hadn't said a word since parting ways with Dawn. He thought that his friend had developed feelings for the little sprite. She was resourceful and a quick study. Recalling her progress, he hoped that she would continue her training. But turning back to Hunter, who rode with his back straight and his eyes forward, he wondered if he had imagined it. He had even gone as far as to ask Tal if Hunter had said anything to her during their nightly runs, but she too confided that he was unusually silent.

After hearing that there was a chance for him to get justice for their people, Hunter had been riding a high the past few weeks. Only the need to get to Ilaburn had fuelled Hunter. At times, he thought his friend would collapse under the stress. But the few days Dawn had been in their small group, he had noticed an uncommon ease to his stride. It was not something substantial, but Gavin couldn't help but think Dawn had changed something in him. These thoughts came to a stop when they reached a small cabin. There was smoke coming out of the chimney and Gavin watched as Hunter steered his horse to the stables. He followed and tied the horses under the small shelter beside the cabin. He stretched his legs and a satisfying crack sounded as his sore body realigned itself. His arms were stretched above his head when the door of the cabin opened.

He blinked.

And blinked again.

The ghost of a man he knew in his youth stepped out.

"Hunt! You made it." The apparition said and clasped Hunter on the shoulder. The spectre then turned to him and smiled.

"Look at you Gavin. It has been a long time."

His eyes were wide, and he was certain his mouth hung open. But the shock of seeing his old commander, the man who had sent him into his first battle, kept him frozen in place. Before he could pull himself from the shock that consumed his body, Hunter spoke.

"Let us speak inside, Elias. We have much to discuss."

Elias nodded and directed them inside the cabin. Gavin followed suit and closed the door behind him. Hunter sat in front of the hearth, warming his hands as he silently conversed with Elias.

Gavin was still shocked to see the older man alive. The last he had seen him, he was covered in the blood of his foes and yelling at him to run.

"What has changed?" Elias asked and looked up at Hunter. The man had grey hair now and wrinkles where he once had smooth youthful skin. Gavin walked around to sit on a wooden chair tucked by a small table. Tal sat on the other chair, and he could feel her silently watching him.

"My wolf is back. It happened a month ago." Hunter rubbed his hands and nodded at Tal, "and she discovered her abilities then too."

Elias looked at Tal with raised eyebrows, "and that is?"

As he finished asking the question the fire in front of him crackled. Jumping back, he nodded. "'Elemental', just don't burn the house down."

Tal smirked but didn't offer any words.

"How did you find me?" Hunter asked. Gavin looked between the two of them. Hunter had received word from him? Why hadn't he told him?

Smiling, Elias said, "I made a promise to your father that I would keep you safe. I always knew where you were, in the general sense."

The group fell silent. Taking a moment to pay their respects to those that were not with them anymore.

Sitting up taller Hunter asked, "What is different now? And how do we keep it that way?"

"Rumours have been coming out that the lock is weakening. That's why you can shift again, and your friend here can control fire. But to open the lock, we need the key."

Ah, Gavin thought, this was the reason for their hasty journey.

Elias met their gaze and in a low voice, said, "the King has the key."