Chapter 29

The procession of guards followed Arnoluds closely. The short man who had taken Dawn to the King walked by his side. His chin was tilted up as he tried to keep pace with the King. The crowd watched as he took his position at the helm of his empire—looking down at the awed expression of his people. She saw the flicker of triumph as he rested his gloved hands on the balustrade, the lion's head banner waving in the wind below him. And then he began to speak. His voice causing her stomach to turn as he spoke of glory days and fallen soldiers. Her fist was clenched at her side. A nudge from Luke had he peeling her eyes from Arnoldus to look into his golden eyes. He mouthed the words, are you ready? And she nodded. The crowd cheered around her and sending Luke one final look, she ducked under the radar of the guards who listened intently to their King.

Go up the stairs, down the hall, find the tome, get your sword, go down the river. She chanted the word in her head. Keeping them in order as she entered the empty halls. The whole city was collected on the grounds of the castle. Groups of men and women waiting patiently beyond the gates for their chance to enter the castle and witness the glory of their tyrant King. She pumped her legs, the dress flowing behind her as she climbed the stairs that led to the King's chambers. The ornate suits of armour stood vigil in the empty corridor. Luke would keep the King from returning to his chambers, allotting her enough time to take the tome and slip out undetected.

And then she would escape.

It had finally clicked in her mind. She had been a sitting duck in the castle. The King purposely put her in a vacant wing of the residence where castle sentries could easily keep tabs on her. And when the opportune time presented itself, they had freely walked into her chamber and plucked the tome out of her satchel taking it to the one man to whom they pledged allegiance.

Stepping into the King's chambers, the grandeur of the space overwhelmed her. A large canopy bed stood in one corner but directly in front of her were two high backed chairs with a tall stained glass window overlooking the city. Two triangles, similar to the ones that were on the tome, created the centre piece around which gold and black concentric rings emerged. Looking up, Dawn examined as the outer panes of the window created a silhouette of a man who held his hands under the gold and black rings, cupping them in his palms. The heavy drapes hid his face but the craftsmanship of the glass beautifully captured the gentle curve of every finger as it held the centre glass pane.

"Beautiful, isn't it."

A woman's voice sounded from the bed—the canopy parting to allow a slender leg to emerge from behind the gossamer drapes. Dawn watched as her feet met the ground and a woman with hair down to her waist emerged. She was draped in a thin black robe that left nothing to the imagination. The belt around her narrow waist hung loose, parting the robe as she pushed her heavy hair over her shoulder. The movement caused the fabric to fall over her shoulder, revealing the curve of her breast. Dawn kept her eyes on the woman as she reached a delicate hand to the collar of her robe and repositioned it.

"What brings you into Arnoldus's chambers?"

The woman asked, a devilish gleam entering her eyes.

"I must be in the wrong rooms. I was looking for a friend. Pardon me." Dawn said and turned to leave.

"Wait." The woman halted her. "Turn around and have a seat. Yes, by the window that you were admiring. I will come join you in just a moment."

Abiding by her words, she sat on one of the high backed chairs. She felt the curve of one of her knives against her thigh as she waited for the woman. She could hear Arnoldus' voice filtering in from the courtyard. The woman appraised her for a moment before disappearing behind a screen. She threw her robe over the screen and emerged wearing a red dress with a plunging neckline. The woman did not come to her right away but strolled to a cart with a crystal decanter. She poured a measure of red wine into a glass before swirling and inhaling the aromas. But she did not bring the edge to her lips, only smiled at the scent of the contents. Turning to Dawn, she walked the short distance to the vacant chair. Each step hidden under the hem of the gown. Dawn felt her throat tighten as her hands formed tight fists at her side. Once the woman sat down on the chair, arranging her blood red gown around her, she turned her viper like gaze to her.