Chapter 4.2

Dawn followed Gavin, the small dagger tucked within reaching in her cloak. He had taught her how to use it, but there was flicker of doubt that had Dawn wondering if it was a mistake to trust him.

And, then there was guilt.

Guilt for the fact that when she looked into his dark eyes there was a part of her that stirred awake. He was unnaturally beautiful. And when he looked at her, with his full attention, Dawn couldn't help but wonder. Yet it was in that pool of wonderment that the single drop of guilt spread. A guilt that took the form of Ryder and the love she was unable to give him. He had sacrificed his life for her and if she had pressed her family on Ryder's offer to accompany her to Eastmaw, he would've been alive. It was her own stubbornness, her own childish desire for adventure that had cost Ryder's life. She would always carry the fault of Ryder's death on her shoulders, along with the secrets her family had so willingly died for.

But the tome was the reason The Guild was in her village, and why they were still after her. If she could find more about where the tome came from and, more importantly, what was written inside, she could finally understand what her father had kept secret until his dying breath.

"How much further?"

She called out to Gavin. They had been walking deeper into the forest since leaving The Dapper Dog. Tenense was west and from the slowly setting sun, they were headed north. Gavin had said his friend were camped out not far from where they were and despite her questions, he had not given her any more information. Now, as she stood surrounded by thick trees and fallen logs, the fear that Gavin had led her astray set in.

"Gavin?"

She asked in a precarious voice when he did not answer her. She opened her mouth to ask again but he jumped down, disappearing over a fallen tree that hid the end of the trail.

"Gavin!"

She yelled and the sound birds echoed through the forest. But it was not concern that laced her words. It was unadulterated anger at him and at herself for easily believing his empty words.

"Gavin! I'm going to kill you!" Dawn clutched the hilt of the small dagger, gripping it just as he had taught her. The irony was not wasted on Dawn, as the image of impaling the man with his own blade he had taught her how to wield formed in her mind. Reaching where he had disappeared, she saw the trail abruptly end at the foot of a steep hill. She looked up the hill, searching for his footprints. She grit her teeth when the soil remained undisturbed. Jumping down, she crouched in the muddy trench, the dagger gripped in her right hand. A curtain of vines hung swaying in the wind, hiding a dugout that led into the hill. Cutting through the foliage, raced after him, her steps echoing through the tunnel.

"Gavin! You son of—" She caught herself as she took in her surroundings. The tunnel had led her through the hill onto the other side where a makeshift campground sat, sequestered behind the veil of century old trees. It was a clearing with three tents pitched around a fire. A woman with beautiful amber eyes and black hair stood up from the fire she had been tending. And standing beside her, with a mischievous curl of his lips, was Gavin.

"U-Uh, hello" Dawn said to the gorgeous woman. She smiled and walked toward Dawn.

"Hello, my name is Talora. But you can call me Tal."

Dawn was struck by her beauty. The tan of her skin and her melodious tone warping her thoughts until all she could do was wait for her next words. "Gavin tells me that he stumbled upon you in the forest and that you needed help."

Dawn nodded.

"Yes, I met Gavin in the forest." She finally answered and forgetting that she had not introduced herself cleared her throat and said, "my name is Dawn Rentradie."