Chapter 11

Pocketing the small bell, she ran up the steps. Closing the gates behind her she felt the stone statues watching her. Her heart was beating in her throat. And in the dark antechamber, standing above the black onyx mandala, she knew she had stumbled upon something much larger than her and larger than—dare she say—the tome her father died protecting.

Casting one final look at the obscure and eroded faces of the tall winged figures, she ran up to main aisles of the Royal Library.

Breathing heavily, she shut the wrought iron gate behind her and turned back expecting the sentinels to be at their post. But instead of the standard gold and red uniforms the guards in front of her were dressed in polished golden armour. Stepping to the side they parted to allow a figure to walk through.

"I heard there was a new scholar in the Library. I hope you found everything you were looking for."

King Arnoldus smiled and the lines around his eyes deepened. He was a man in his later years of life, but he stood with power. A golden crown rested on a head of grey hair. His brocade jacket hugged his chest and despite his age, he stood broad shoulders and muscled. But it his emerald eyes that held her in place. They were calculating and the sharp glint in them betrayed his kind smile. Realizing she was staring; Dawn quickly fell to her knees and bowed her head.

"It is an honour to be in your presence, Your Highness."

With a chuckle, the King told her to rise and heeding his word she stood up.

"Ilaburn is always happy to have scholars within its walls. Now tell me child, have you a place to stay?"

She was at a loss for words. The King was asking her about her lodging conditions! She had not checked to see if there were inns or rooming houses in the city. But with only the coins she swiped from Gavin in her satchel, she did not have much means to buy lodging either.

"Your silence tells me no." The King continued and she sheepishly nodded.

"Not a problem, the castle has more than enough space. Stay as long as you need to. And with Omnium Animarum approaching, I'd hope to see you stay to celebrate with the city."

Dawn opened her mouth to protest but she held her tongue. This was the King! She could not speak against him. And true to the stories, he was being extremely kind.

Telling one of his men to escort her to her room the King left with his entourage of personal guards. She watched his retreating figure and the clearing of a throat pulled her away from the King. The guard looked down at her and resting his hand on the gold pommel of his mighty sword, he simply said, "follow me", and started walking.

He led her through the main gate of the castle. There was a clearing in the centre that was overlooked by the large balcony. Guiding her to the main structure he rounded to the back where the stables were. Horses adorned in the same golden armour were being tend to and young men were working to brush the animals and clean their hooves. Watching one of the stable hands laugh as one of the horses nudged him for food reminded her of Lily. She had been her last true companion and she had sent her to her death. Silver lined her eyes, but she silently continued behind the guard.

The main structure of the castle hid the noble residence where the royal guests of the King were houses, as the guard explained.

"Why are my chambers amongst the noblemen?" She asked but the guard did not answer. Leading her up a set of stairs, the alabaster colouring of the castle continued inside. A deep red carpet ran on the floor and stopping in front of a wooden door with a golden handle, the guard opened it. Her chambers were modest but through the window she could see the sprawling city and, in the distance, the forest where she had separated from her friends.