Chapter 2

A rustling caused Dawn to wake. The late morning sun peaked through the canopy as a gentle breeze swept through the forest. She raised her hand, shielding her sensitive eyes from the sun's rays. Dawn watched her fingers, silhouetted by the bright light. She stretched her arms overhead and pointed her toes. She rolled her wrists and copied the movement with her ankles. Satisfied she sat up, anchoring herself with her palms against the forest floor.

But her breath caught when she saw what lay beside her.

The small bundle of clothes from her dream lay by her feet, placed exactly where the woman had left it. Pulling her shirt over her shoulder she felt for the wound but only unmarked, smooth skin met her fingertips.

It wasn't a dream.

The woman was real.

Keep the tome safe.

Those were her parting words. The diadem reflecting the glow of fireflies as she disappeared into the forest. Who was she? Or better yet, what was she? Dawn pulled her linen shirt back in place, the fabric worn down from the years of use. Reaching for the bundle of clothes she noticed the leather scabbard placed under it. It was plain leather, dyed a deep brown. Unlike the scabbards she had need of soldiers in Eastmaw, this one lacked any ornaments or markings. It housed an equally plain iron sword with a simple hilt, wrapped in stripes of leather. Withdrawing the sword she weighed it in her hand, examining the polished metal.

It was a virgin blade. The edge lacking the marks that came from engaging in swordplay. Extending it out, Dawn's arm shook from the weapon's weight. She had never trained with a weapon. When young boys were given wooden swords she was given a basket to collect flowers. When those same boys discarded their wooden placeholders and acquired gleaming swords of their own, Dawn was handed a needle and thread. In her wildest imaginations she had thrust the needle through the fabric, the needle becoming her sword and the fabric her foe. Needless to say, her mother had not deemed her a skilled seamstress.

Her mother. She felt a lump inside her throat as the tears welled in her eyes. Dawn wanted to go back to those days, apologize to her mother for giving her such a hard time.

She returned the blade to its scabbard and reached for the clean clothes. Quickly stripping and donning the new clothes, she tied the navy cloak around her neck. The fabric fell around her, hiding the hilt of her new sword that hung at her hip and the satchel that rested against her side. She could not bring herself to take the book out of the safety of her satchel, afraid of who or what might be watching. For now, she thought, until it was safe and no prying eyes were around, the tome was best kept hidden in her satchel.

But where would she go from here? Looking around, Dawn set out for the dirt road. She had led Lily north from her village. From the maps her father kept in his study of The Lands, the dirt road led up into the Great Forest and branched toward Bellenau and Tenense. Bellenau was a fishing town, nestled along the shore of Forboro Sea. Her father had pointed out the small town, saying that it had been overrun with bandits looking to monopolize the fishing trade.

Tenense, on the other hand, was known for its ports and was where someone could easily purchase safe passage across Forboro. Tenense, like Eastmaw, was a way-station but unlike the quaint town near her village, it was know for its loose laws. Someone looking to flea to the Continent could easily find a captain willing to ferry them across the sea for the right price. Although it was a fool's choice to venture there, Dawn had no other option. Bandits would not allow her to cross Forboro. What would she say in the first place? My family was killed and now I'm trying to escape the group of men who have placed a reward for my capture.

They would laugh and haul her over to the horsemen to claim the reward for themselves.

Tenense was the only place she could go where passage would be guaranteed. Once she was safely on the shores of the Continent she would go to the King. Dawn was certain he would provide refuge to people under his rule and when she told him of the massacre of her village, surly he would protect her.

King Arnoldus, who had ascended to the throne in the royal city of Ilaburn, was spoken of with high praise. Although the King had never left the Continent, stories of his benevolence had reached across Forboro Sea and spread through The Lands. Merchants bearing trinkets from the Continent spoke of the firm and just rule of the King.

With renewed strength, Dawn set out on the dirt road—a destination and a goal in mind.

A/N I want to draw a map of The Lands. Anyone know any good resources?