Chapter Six

Chapter 6   The Ride

My heart pounded in my my chest like a drum, and I could almost hear it echoing through the forest.  I slowly swung my leg over Bright Eyes broad back.  I paused, my leg hung over his back.  I toke a deep breath, then slowly pulled myself up.  I closed my eyes tight, then carefully opened them.  I was on top of him.  I had never felt so powerful in my life.  I felt tall, and unstopable.  I took a deep breath.  I wrapped my hands carefully around his long flowing mane.  He was breathing heavily.  I knew he was ready, but was I?  He pawed the ground.  "A-alright," I said gently.  "Shh, relax."  I coyld instantly feel the tension release from him when I said that.  I smiled.  I looked ahead at the long sparkling trail ahead of me.  "Lets go."  And we took of like a lighting bolt in the sky.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

My hair was flowing behind me along with his mane and tail.  I smiled.  The wind was thrust at my face as we battled across the windy woods.  I looked down carefully and watched his powerful legs, musclear legs proppeling me throught the woods.  I had waited so long for this, and I realized this was all I ever wanted.  I luaghed and threw my arms in the air and let the wind push me back.  I knew Bright Eye would never let me fall.  My moms car couldn't even go as fast as this.  We ran and ran, and Bright Eyes never stopped.  I didn't blame him.  He was tied to a tree for most of his life.  I was even suprised when he picked up even more speed.  I quickly threw my arms down and grabbed his mane.  We were going so fast, that if we took off into the air, I wouldn't be suprised.  He gained more and more speed.  I was ready to call the press and declare the gfastest horse in the world.  But no, I liked It a secret.  It was the most amazing feeling ontop of that horse.  Gliding over tree roots and stones so fast it was almost like you could go through them.  I hadn't even realized that we weren't even in the forest anymore.  We were running over cool, hard grey stone.  But he didn't stop.  It wasn't steep, and Bright Eye didn't stop.  We ran until we reached the top.  He finally stopped.  He wasn't even panting.  "Wow." I gasped at the view before us.  Mountains stretching over land, the light pink sky of sinset hanging over them lazily.  The sun was impossible to look at.  It was insanly bright, and peeked out from behind one of the mountains.  Big towering pines towered over the little green shrubs below them.  Small, but pretty, pink and purple flowers popped up from behind big smooth grey rocks.  We stood their together, me hugging his neck, and him with his bold posistion on top of the rock, for 10 long beautiful minutes and watched the sunset.  Then he ran home at top speed, in the moonlight.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the next couple of weeks, I had been feeding Bright Eye, and riding him everyday.  My jar was filling up, to my delight, very quickly.  I rode Bright Eye when ever there was time.  We loved spending time together, and everytime, he would take me to a new part of the forest with a scenic view that would take my breath away.  I also noticed that when I ran to the woods after school, Owen would watch me.  He was really nice, and he started to become my first friend.  One day after school, most of the kids had gone, and 3 were waiting with me and Owen outside the door while the rest were having a joyful time at the play gorund.  We started having a simple conversation, the usual, how are you, good how are you.  Then he asked me what I did after school.  "Oh....Well I like to um....spend time.."  He looked at me right away and said "Whats your secret Monica, what are you hiding.  You know you can tell me, I'm not one of those selfish jerks who spoil secrets, I just know your hiding something!"  He suddenly had a look of horror on his face.  "I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to be rude."  He quickly started walking away.  But I trusted him.  I quickly grabbed him and dragged him towards the forest.  He was silent about it.  Eventually, we were close to the part where Bright Eye stayed with his food.  He leaned against a tree as I came close to him.  "Ok, I just want to make something clear," I stated.  He nodded quickly.  "You speak of this to no one, and I mean no one, not even your parents."  I don't think he liked hiding things from his parents, and neither did I, but this was how it was.  "I swear, Monica, your my friend, and I wouldn't do anything to upset you....I'm kinda scared."  Bright Eye grunted.  His eyes widened.  He looked off behind the tree.  I slowly shook my head.  "Don't be." I whispered.  Then I took his hand, squeezed it, and led him around the tree.