Chapter Two

Chapter Two

It was getting late, and I knew that if I wasn't home soon, my mom would get pretty upset with me, and I didn't need her getting curious about my trips to the woods.  I eventually came to the sound of the horses relaxing heavy breathing and smiled.  I stopped and stared at the horse.  He looked up at me again, and gave a small whinny.  I beamed even more and ran towards my horse.  "Hello!" I said looking up at him.  "I brought you something."   I handed the juciest looking carrot up to him and his eyes brightened.  I stepped back and watchen him hungirly crunch the carrot down.  I could tell he was having difficulty chewing with the halter stuck on him.  I frowned and pulled out the knife and slipped it gently under the halter the best I could.  Then slowley started to cut the thick red rope.  To my suprise, the horse was calm and relaxed, as if he knew what I was doing, and i was suprised at how much trust he had already put into me.  I Smiled as I was near the last bit of string, and I had eventually managed to slip the halter off his head.  He shook is head and gave a proud whinny.  I smiled at his happiness.  But what about the other rope he's tires too?  I wasn't sure if he would run away if I cut it.  So for tonight, I sat against a tree and watched him crunch his carrots, thinking of a name.  Smokey, midnight, Blackie, Shimmer?  No I thought.  I wanted a name that was going to really bring out his gentle nature, but show his strenghth and beauty.  And I thought to myself, what was my favorite characteristic about him.  Then I looked up into his sparkly eyes.  His eyes!

The next day at school, I was tired, and was trying to ignore Kathrines annoying snickers and scowls.  We were all sitting quietly, and I really wasn't in the mood for math.  I looked down at my math paper and sighed at the doodles of beautiful, radient, black horses, racing through the woods at top speed.  I tore out a plain lined piece of paper at my binder and didn't realize the loud noise it made.  My teacher looked up quickly from her desk like an owl, than glanced back down at her work.  Half covered up by my math sheet, I listed some powerful names for my horse.  I had the ones I had listed before, like Blackie, and Smokey, Shimmer, and Midnight, and some new ones too.  Like tolken and Air and Beauty, but I got caught between my too favorites bright eye, and Lucky.  He was very lucky I had found him, but then again, I wanted something different, and I loved the way his big bright eyes had a spark of life and hope in them.  So I decided to go with Bright Eye.  I circled the name slowly and carefully.  I smiled, it felt good naming my horse.  As I made my perfect oval around the name, I happened to look up and catch the brown haired boy I saw yesterday staring at me.  He quickly looked away, and I cocked my head at him and wondered.  That was wierd, no one looks at me like that?  I frowned and stared into space and hadn't realized that the teacher asked me to show her the work I had done.  I looked at my paper sadly.  I hated getting in trouble with teachers.  I felt bad erasing the drawings I did, and with the teachers stone glare, I knew she would see anyways.  Kathrine laughed and started passing notes to her friends.  I silently seethed inside me, boiling like a pot.  How come no teacher saw her, how come everyone only saw the good in her!  I watched as the teacher looked at me with wide eyes with that look like you know this isn't acceptable.  Then she handed me the paper back and said calmy "Get to work."  And she handed me the paper and I walked back engulfed in the laughter from Kathrine and her group.  They probablly didn't even do their work yet.  I walked back to my seat and thought about how this afternoon, I would see my horse.