A Girl and her Horse chapter 12

I anxiously called Owen.  Why was I bothering him?  He was trust worthy.  Whatever, the phone was already on the second ring.  The next ring, Owen picked up.  "Helo?" I suddenly felt nervous.  I didn't know why.  For a second, I almost felt....shy.  "Yeah hey Owen, um sorry, just wanted to see if everything was all set for tonight."  There was a slight pause.  "I got it Monica, dont worry."  I bit my lip.  I really felt bad making him go out to feed my horse.  "Are...are you sure it's not too much trouble?"  Another pause.  "I got, dont worry.  Really."  I relaxed a little.  "Ok then so um I guess I'll see you Monday."  I began to put the phone down until I heard a small shout.  "Monice wait!"  I put the phone back to my ear.  "Yeah."  He cleared his throat.   "Would you like to um, go to the dance with me?"  It was too slient.  I froze.  "Sure."  Sure didn't seem like enough.  I felt bad.  "I'd be happy too."  I could tell he instantly brightened up on the other end.  "Ok then well uh yeah so great!  Um see you Monday!"  He hung up.  I smiled and walked back to the kitchen table.  Ashley smirked.  "I see that grin, whats up?"  I blushed.  Nothing really, I swear."  She crossed her arms.  "Alright, well who were you talking too."  I looked down.  "Owen."  Ashley giggled.  "And he asked you to the dance next Friday."  I laughed too.  "Yep, wierd I know."  Ashley looked confused.  "What do you mean."  I glanced up.  "What do you mean?"

"I dont think its wierd at all."

"You dont?"

"Of course not!"

I beamed.  Ashley was great.  "You really think so?"  Ashley laughed.  "Monica your so silly.  Maybe my mom can take us shopping for outfits tomorrow!"  That would be awesome!  I'd love to see where Ashley shopped.  It's been a while since I've been to the mall myself.  Then I followed Ashley out side onto the patio.  The sun was shining so bright.  It was a beautiful day.  We sipped lemonade and played with a Frisbee for a while, chatting about various things.  If I was going to tell Ashley my secret, it would be now.  "I've been wanting to tell you something Ashley."  She flung the Frisbee back at me.  "OK."  I caught the Frisbee and held on to it for a sec before tossing it back.  "Well I just wanted to tell you that I have a horse."  OK, that came out totally wrong and random.  "Like....secretly."  She stared at me for a sec.  "You have a horse?"  How cool!  Where?  How?  Why is it a secret?"  I explained to her my story of meeting Bright Eye,and all our cool rides we have shared.  How I've been taking care of him and our special connections. Ashley wanted to know everything from his coat color, to his breed.  I also deeply expressed how it was so secret and I couldn't let anybody else find out.  They could take him away.  I needed him.  The hours passed quickly.  It felt good sharing my secret with Ashley.  It felt like something girls should do.  Before we knew it, we were chilling in her beautifully finished basment around 6:00 munching on pizza and watching our favorite shows on the flat screen.  I really had to use the bathroom.  "Be right back." I said.  "Alright."  I silently snuck up the stairs to the bathroom.  After that, I began to make my way back down to the basement door.  I found Ashley waiting quietly for me on the couch flipping through channels.  After a couple more hours, we decided to go to sleep.