Chapter Seven

Chapter 7 New Friend

Owen gasped.  He stood there staring at Bright Eye, eyes bulging and mouth hanging open.  "A-a horse...Monica," he stammered.  "Please, don't Owen, he's nice, you can"t tell anyone."  Owen slowly moved foward.  He stopped and stared.  Than began to move closer again.  He slowly reached out his hand and walked toward Bright Eye.  I noticed he was smiling.  Bright Eye went up and met his hand.  They stood there silent for a moment.  Owen gave a small laugh.  He looked at me with a broad smile.  "You know, I always wanted a horse.  He hugged Bright Eye.  I knew my secret was safe.

In school the next day, me and Owen kept exchanging smiles with eachother.  Then, after looking around, I carefully pressed my finger to my lips, and he turned around and acted normal.  It was a lazy, slow school day.  I looked down at my math paper.  It was the end of the day.  I slowly looked around.  It was quiet.  No one messed around with our teacher.  I sighed, I hated the silence.  Again, I didn't get much of my math done, and planned to do it for homework.  I bolted out of the school and into the woods.  I looked behind me.  I saw Owen at the exit.  He smiled and gave a small wave.  I smiled and ran on.  When I got to the woods.  I patted Bright Eye gently.  It was sunny, and I thought about what I would do if it ever rained, Bright Eye could take it, right?  I had brought my jar of money and proudly showed my money to Bright Eye.  He whinnied and seemed pretty happy about it.  It was silent for a moment, both of us looking at the ground.  Then I looked up at him with a big smile.  I jumped onto his back, and he started running before I could even get a good hold on him.  He took of at his top speed again.  I wondered where he would take me this time.  The forest was a blur too me.  The wind stung my eyes.  He was so powerful, it was almost like a car.  We ran, until bright Eye stopped upon a small green meadow.  It was dead silent.  I couldn't even hear the faint calls of the sparrows flying by.  Only a low humming from the bugs perched on little flowers throughout the meadow.  I slid off his sleek back and onto the soft meadow.  We sat there for 20 minutes, staring into the bright blue sky.  I guessed it was around 4 when we heard the low grumbling noise.  I quickly sat up and looked around.  I quickly got up and saw the huge brown creature.  Yep, it was a bear.

--------------------------------------------------------

I looked at Bright Eye.  I was horrified.  Do we run.  It was standing right in front of us, only 7 feet away.  That's when we both made the disicion.  Without a moment to spare, I was on Bright Eye and we were running out of the peaceful clearing with a big angry bear behind us.  I was terrified, and I never imagined myself dying this way, but Bright Eye could save us, right?  I looked behind me.  I could see him seething, anger in her eyes.  And she sudenly let out bone rattling roar. I felt Bright Eye pick up speed, and it brought me back to that amazing night when I rode Bright Eye for the first time.  He gained speed, and I slowly turned, watching the bear disappear before us.  We eventually stopped.  We lost her.  It was silent, and I knew Bright Eye was ashamed.  All of a sudden, I started laughing, I actually liked the adventure.  Bright Eyeooked at me with his big eyes, and we took of running again as he let out a piercing whinny through the air. 

I walked home through the woods laughing, and I got to my house at 5:30.  That's when I relized with terror that my mom was already eating different.  I slowly opened the back door and silently stepped into the kitchen.  My mother had been eating a bowl of steaming pasta.  The big stone fire place was lit, giving the kitchen a sweet glow.  "Uh, hullo...mom."  I grabbed a bowl.  I brought it back to the table and started to scoop steaming piles of pasta into it.  "Hey."  She quickly looked at me.  "You know, I really enjoy the fact that you like the outdoors so much,"  She looked away and mumbled, "Not those expensive video games."  Then she turned back with a smile.  "Try to get back here earlier, you know, maybe we can spend more time with eachother, you make me feel like I'm ignoring you.  "Your not mom, please, don't think that."  I started to feel a strong guilt creep over me.  I spent every minute of every day in the woods, not here any more.  "Well," she looked at me and smiled.  "Try to be in time for dinner more often."  She smiled and slid a clear, plastic watch across the table, then got up and left.  I listened to her foot steps disappear into the hall.  I looked curioulsy at the box and grabbed it and opened it.  It was a pink glittery watch.  I smiled and got up to sit on the porch to draw.