CHAPTER 1

The following morning I woke up and looked around. This place was not bad. It just needed maintenance and some major spring cleaning. When my surroundings registered, I remembered what happened last night. If I am here it means it wasn’t a dream. I wasn’t afraid of snakes. People killed them all the time in our village. But communicating and understanding them is a whole different thing.

I made the bed and then went out of the bedroom. I went to the front door. I opened it and I stepped outside. What I saw next sent me straight to the ground because it was too much for me. Yes I fainted. I gained consciousness few minutes later and I wish I never did because I was surrounded with all types of snakes you would ever think off.

“I am Jaxon”
“And I am Kori.” Those thoughts came from the direction of two gigantic cobras.
“And I am terrified.” I heard laughter from their thoughts. Outside they looked deadly and terrifying but their thoughts were amusing.

“Is it true that you can mind communicate with us?” said a black and brown king cobra coming to the front.
“Holy fuck. You are huge.” I thought.
“And handsome I hope.” I chuckled.

“Maybe to your mates you are handsome but to me you are terrifying.” He stopped moving and looked at me.
“So it’s true?” to a person passing by, I am sure they would’ve thought I was crazy or I was a witch.
“Stop looking at me like that. You are scaring me.” I said.

“I am Bari by the way and I think I am their leader.” I chuckled.
“How is this even possible? Maybe she is a witch.” A boa said in a female voice.
“She is not a witch. She isn’t evil. I can feel it Eliz.” Jaxon defended.

“Something like this has happened before.” Bari said. “It was a legend and it was years ago. A woman named Sizuzokuhle Mntambo had the same gift.” I gasped.

“That was my great-great grandmother. She died years ago. It was said that she was killed because the village saw her as a witch who sent snake to do her dirty work.” I remember my grandmother telling me about this when I was still young. I thought it was a myth.

“She discovered that she had this gift so she built a friendship with our kind. She was one of the wisest elders of her time. When people saw her with snakes they accused her of witchcraft. They would attack her and her snake friends would always retaliate by killing and biting those who wronged her. The villagers thought she was the one who sent them so the stoned her to death.” Bari narrated.

“That’s horrible.” I said wiping my eyes.
“I thought the gift had died with her until you showed up.”
“You need to get out of this village before the same fate that happened to your ancestor befalls you.” Kori said.

“Where am I going to go? I have nowhere to go and I have nobody.” I said stopping my tears from falling.
“We are going to lead you to the main road and from there you will have to hitchhike cars going to the city. You will find a job there and do something with your life.” Jaxon said.

“What about you?” I found myself saying before I could even think about it. I heard chuckles.
“We are going to be fine. We will visit you when you have settled down and we will just know.” Kori said.
“Okay.” I stood up and went inside the cabin. I took my clothes and then headed out.
--
It took me few hours to get to the main road and a few more to actually get a ride to town. It was an old woman. She was chatty and kind. She didn’t even make me pay which was good because I didn’t have money. She told me that I have better chances finding a job in the suburbs as a maid or a nanny.

I took her advice and went door to door at a suburb called Midrand. Some wouldn’t even give me a chance to say a word. Some would threaten to release their dogs on me. I was tired, dirty and hungry. I hadn’t eaten anything since I left home.

It was my third night in Midrand. I was sitting at a shelter where I usually slept at. I was minding my own business when a car stopped in front of me. The door opened and a white woman came out. She smiled and came to where I was seated.

Woman: “you must be the girl who has been going around looking for a job.” I looked at her and frowned.
Me: “how did you know?” I said in my hoarse voice and shifted uncomfortably.

Woman: “I have heard about you. I am Ellen. What is your name?”
Me: “Sibekezelo but you can call me Zelo if you can’t pronounce my name.”
Ellen: “do you have your CV with you?” I shook my head. “Okay. Where are you from?”

Me: “far away from here.” she laughed.
Ellen: “you are lucky I am desperate. I need a live in maid and nanny who will look after my 2 year old daughter.”
Me: “why me?”

Ellen: “I don’t know, but I feel like I can trust you. My last help actually stole from me and the previous one after that was obsessed with my baby daddy.” I chuckle.
Me: “you have a tendency of hiring psychos.” She laughed.

Ellen: “something like that. Now stand up. Let’s go.” God came through for me and I was very happy. I stood up and followed her. She opened the passenger door for me and I looked at her. “Girl you’re no minister. I am not about to drive for you.” I laughed and got in the car.
--
We got to this beautiful house. She gave me a tour and then led me to the room which she told me was mine. She also gave me cosmetics and a few clothes. I took a long bath and after that I felt so refreshed. I Lotioned using the lotion she gave me and then got dressed in pajamas that she gave me. All my clothes were dirty so I needed to wash them first before using them.

I placed them on the laundry basket. I then tidied up the room and headed to the kitchen because she said I must come there when I am done taking a shower. I found her sipping on wine sitting on one of the chairs. She stood up when she saw me.

Ellen: “sit down and let me dish for you.” I nodded and sat down. She dished for me and handed me the plate and a glass of juice. “My baby daddy is going to bring back my daughter tomorrow morning because he is going on a tour the day after tomorrow.”

Me: “he is a tourist or tour guide?” I asked eating my food. She laughed.
Ellen: “you surely are from far away. I am an actress and Mabel’s father is a musician.”
Me: “so you guys are famous?” she chuckled.
Ellen: “something like that.” she shrugged.

We continued chatting until we went to our separate rooms. I got into bed and I was so happy that it was comfortable and it wasn’t like the one back at home which was a single bed with a worn out sponge. I could see that my life was about to change and I was thankful to God for that.