CHAPTER 13

It was a few weeks after the unveiling and after making the relationship between Mehluko and I official. Seema had been persuading me to tell him about my gift but I had been postponing it for as long as I could remember. I mean it’s not easy to just go up to him and be like: ‘hey I can communicate with snakes’. I was sure he was going to run to the hills and never look back.

I was seated under the tree with Kori, Jaxon, Bari, Eliz and Seema who was just minding her own business. We were talking about my relationship with Mehluko and they were all on Seema’s side. Of course they would side with her because they are the same species.

Bari: “I am no human but I would want to know if my woman had such a gift. Even if I couldn’t handle it, I would want to know.”
Kori: “secrets are never good in a relationship because they can break it, especially something as huge as this. It’s like you are hiding your true identity from him.”

Seema: “why does it sound like you are talking from an experience?”
Me: “I was also about to ask the same question.” We all laughed. We snap when we heard Ellen’s scream. She was standing not far from where we were. I stood up quickly. “Ellen, it’s not what you think. I am not crazy and I am not speaking to snakes.”

Jaxon: “really now?” he said with a voice full of sarcasm.
Me: “can you calm down so that I can explain?”
Ellen: “explain what? That you are a weirdo who attracts snakes?” I shook my head.

Me: “Ellen please. Give me a chance.” she looked at me for a long time, looked at the snakes and then back at me.
Ellen: “fine.”
Me: “you guys can leave.” They climbed into the tree and disappeared. I went to Ellen and we both went to sit by the pool, in the pool chairs.

Ellen: “what is going on Zelo?”
Me: “promise me you won’t freak out?”
Ellen: “a little too late for that, don’t you think?” I sighed.

Me: “I have a gift of communicating with snakes. Just like talking but we communicate with thoughts. Seema isn’t just a pet snake. I got her from the jungle. She keeps me company most of the time. When you see me chuckling and smiling with her, probably because of something she had said. She has a great sense of humor.” She frowned.

Ellen: “how is that humanly possible Zelo? You are like Dr. Dolittle?” I chuckled.
Me: “I only know how to communicate with snakes. I learnt that ability when I was chased out of home. The snakes are the ones who led me to safety and advised me to come to the city.” She sighed.

Ellen: “wow, this is too much to grab. Aren’t you scared that they might turn on you and harm you one day?” I laughed.
Me: “I am not keeping them as my pets. We have a friendship. I am the only one in my generation who can communicate with them. They would never kill me.”
Ellen: “so you have no problem just chilling and talking to a boa or a cobra?” I shook my head.

Me: “I consider them my friends rather than wild animals.”
Ellen: “so where do they stay?”
Me: “in the jungle. Seema is the only one who lives here. they come to visit me but no too often.”

Ellen: “ask Seema anything that I have done in her presence that only her would know.” I chuckle.
Me: “you heard her Seema.”

Seema: “she is a lover of beer and whiskey. She pretends to love wine in front of people but whiskey makes her happier, followed by beer. She also talked about a job offer from the states but is afraid to take it because she knows what it might do to her relationship with Azee.” I frowned and looked at Ellen.

Me: “you were offered a job overseas? Why aren’t you jumping to the opportunity?” she gasped.
Ellen: “she told you that?” I nodded. “OMG! You really do communicate with them.”

Me: “now back to my question. Why?” she sighed.
Ellen: “you know how touring is a factor in my relationship with Azee, so imagine me shooting a seven-month series in the US. that will just kill our relationship for good.”

Me: “but don’t you wanna spread your wings?”
Ellen: “not at the expense of my true love.” I looked at her. “Now back to you, so you talk to snakes huh?” she asked with a smirk and I just laughed. “Does Mehluko know?” I shook my head.

Me: “I am scared to tell him. I don’t know how he will react. What if he dumps me?”
Ellen: “this gift of yours is not something you can run away from or switch it off. He will have to accept that.”
Seema: “finally someone who sees things from our perspective.” I chuckled.

Ellen: “is Seema saying something?”
Me: “she is relieved because you share the same sediments as them.”
Ellen: “I know your African gifts. I know you can’t just abandon them. he should also know and it should be up to him to decide whether he wants to continue or you are too weird for him.”

Me: “look who is talking.” She laughed.
Ellen: “hey our situations are so different.”