CHAPTER 28

I did morning rituals as always and then went to a music class. Apart from therapy and shit, there were activities in this hospital which kept our minds off the awfulness of this place. I got to the class and sat on the bench.

I was early and there were only a few patients who had arrived. Others started arriving and soon everyone settled down. The teacher got in and Lucy rushed behind him. She was always late.

Lucy: “sorry I am late.” We chuckled.
Teacher: “as always Miss Delaria. Now sit so that we can start.”
Lucy: “thank you.” She came and sat next to me. “I swear to God Satan is always making me late. Always making me dream of ways to kill my ex.” I giggled and looked at the front.

Teacher: “we have been singing the notes for the past few days but today we are going to start on the words. We are singing the CHE INTERMINABLE ANDIRIVIENU.”

You heard that right. We were singing choral music. The way I despised this type of music at school. Well because the teacher was very strict and always beat the choristers if they were out of order. But this teacher was patient and seeing that most patients were mentally disturbed, he was very gentle and understanding. I could never do his job.

We stood up, went to take sheets from the front and stood in our positions. I was singing alto also known as second soprano while Lucy was singing the first soprano. The teacher played his piano and we started singing the words which were very difficult but we ended up getting the hang of it.

Teacher: “okay that's all for today. See you tomorrow and try practicing it in your room.”
Likuwe: “can we please sing INQOLA EMASONDOSONDO tomorrow?”

Teacher: “Italian showing you flames?” everyone agreed before we all laughed. I mean it's a miracle that we didn't bite our tongues. Likuwe was Xhosa but even he preferred Zulu to Italy because wow. “Okay then. We will polish the CHE INTERMINABLE ANDIRIVIENI first tomorrow and then sing INQOLA EMADINDOSONDO. Thank you.” We all returned our sheets and left the music room.

Papers were not allowed in our wards. So if you needed to rehearse the songs, you were allowed to come to the music room before curfew. Lucy and I went to the backyard and sat on the benches.

Me: “you and the music teacher huh?” she giggled and then covered her face with her hands.
Lucy: “he is so hot but he is a man and I am taking a break from that gender, so no.” she said uncovering her face.

Me: “but you admit that he is hot.”
Lucy: “hey I am not about to deny the obvious.” She exclaimed and I laughed. We heard some commotion from the reception and we just ignored it. It was something we were used to. Most people wanting to visit their loved ones but being denied because they weren't on the list. Eddy came running to us. “another scoop?” Lucy asked as he got to us and we laughed.

Eddy: “stop being dramatic. You know you live for my daily news.”
Lucy: “true that.”

Eddy was another person who was unlawfully admitted to this hospital. His father is a very traditional man and Eddy is gay. He thought Eddy was possessed or mentally ill. So he had him locked up in here and said he would only take him out if he agrees to change his ways.

Eddy was very stubborn and that's why he had been at the hospital for more than a year.
This hospital was really corrupt because we weren't the only ones admitted because someone paid for us to be locked up in here.

Some girl was reported by her stepmother because she inherited all her father's money. So the stepmother acted fast before she could claim the money and even forged the will. People are evil out there. I am telling you.

Me: “so who are they here for today?”
Eddy: “a certain Miss Mlambo and I am pretty convinced that they are going to leave with her. I am telling you the guy brought lawyers and cops and experts. The situation is very tense out there.”

Me: “how I wish this hospital can just burn to the ground. It is so corrupt and the director is abusing his power.”
Eddy: “life is unfair like that honey. This is our hell on earth and the sooner you guys accept that, the better.” He walked away.

Me: “should you get out of here, How will you get your daughter?”
Lucy: “I would have to team up with a powerful gang leader, trade some information about baby daddy's operations and then get my child back.”

Me: “that seems easy. But how are you going to get a gang leader to work with you? Do you even know one?”

Lucy: “I know few of the most feared and powerful ones like The Empress which is the Capo of the South African Mafia.”

Me: “what is a Capo?”
Lucy: “a boss of a famiglia.”
Me: “it's a woman?”
Lucy: “she is very scary and you never live to tell the tale if you come across her. And she is also a legacy.”

Me: “sounds cool. I would love to meet her one day.” She chuckled.
Lucy: “yeah. One day.”