CHAPTER 15

He placed his drink on the table and sat up to stare at me. He had this ridiculous look in his face that would’ve made me laugh if we were under different circumstances.

Mehluko: “what are you saying to me Sibekezelo?” he repeated his question louder this time around.
Me: “I can mind communicate with snakes. I can prove to you if you don’t believe me. Ellen also didn’t believe me but I proved to her my gift.”

Mehluko: “this is just crazy. This is insane. How can a human being interact and actually speak to an animal? Let alone a snake? A serpent? Which is a natural enemy of man?” I shook my head.
Me: “my snake friends are not the enemy. They do what they do to protect themselves. It’s survival of the cleverest in the wilderness so that’s why they behave like that.” he chuckled and stood up.

Mehluko: “so you are their advocate now?” I also stood up.
Me: “that’s not what I am saying. I just wanted to let you in on another part of my life since we are in a relationship. I believe that there shouldn’t be secrets between us. I believe in transparency.”

Mehluko: “how do I know that if I make you angry you won’t bring your snake army to attack me?” I frowned.
Me: “now you are hurting my feelings. This is not how I imagined our talk will end up like. Please calm down.”

Mehluko: “oww, what did you imagine? That I would hug you, twirl with you and cheer for you and accept your gift?”
Me: “that is not what I was expecting. I just want you to understand and see things from my point of view.”

Mehluko: “your point of view is biased because you will surely choose your snakes over someone else.”
Me: “why would I have to choose?”
Mehluko: “I would never share my woman with snakes. Who knows? Maybe y’all sleep together at night.” I gasped.

Me: “you are hurting my feelings.”
Mehluko: “now you are going to send your snake friends to kill me at night?” tears fell from my eyes and I quickly wiped them.
Me: “I can’t talk to you when you’re like this. Call me when you have calmed down.” I took my bag from the table.

Mehluko: “well don’t wait for my call because whatever we had is over. Bye miss snakes.”

I rushed out and tears were still falling but this time around I didn’t wipe them. They blinded me by the time I got to the parking lot. I bumped into someone and I fell down, landing on the ground with my butt. I didn’t look up. I just gathered my things and stood up.

Man: “I am sorry for bumping into you. I was busy on my phone I didn’t see where I was headed.”
Me: “fine. I also didn’t see where I was going. Sorry.” I quickly rushed to the car, started it and drove out of the parking lot in high speed.
--
By God’s grace I made it at home safely. I parked the car on the driveway and headed inside. I didn’t even greet Azee and Ellen who were in the lounge watching TV with Mabel between them. I just jogged to my room and when I got there, I quickly undressed and wore my sweater dresser. I got into bed and went on Spotify. I played a sad playlist and closed my eyes while tears streamed down my cheeks.

Ellen: “honey what’s wrong?” she asked as soon as she entered my bedroom. She came to the side I was facing and sank onto the bed. she stroked my hair. “What happened?” I sniffed and opened my eyes.

Me: “he dumped me when I told him about my gift. He said very hurtful things Ellen. Words that can never be taken back.”
Ellen: “son of a bitch. He is a coward who doesn’t deserve you.” she climbed on the bed and her back was against the headboard. I placed my head on her lap. “Want me to sing for you?” I paused the music I was playing.

Me: “please.” She cleared her throat.
Ellen:

‘She just wants to be, beautiful
She goes, unnoticed she knows, no limits
She craves, attention she praises, an image
She prays to be, sculpted by the sculptor.

Oh, she don’t see, the light that’s shining
Deeper than the eyes can find it
Maybe we have made her blind
So she tries to cover up the pain
And cut her woes away
‘Cause cover girls don’t cry
After their face is made

But there’s a hope that’s waiting for you in the dark
You should know you’re beautiful just the way you are
And you don’t have to change a thing
The world can change its heart
No scars to your beautiful
We’re stars and we’re beautiful.’

Ellen: “he is an asshole, pathetic looser and a she-man because of what he said to you. You are no alien. You are human being. You are special and we love you.” she perked my forehead. And I drifted to sleep while listening to another song that she was singing.