CHAPTER 10

We woke up the following day and prepared for the events of the day. Aunt Sihle and aunt Nandipha were the ones in charge of the cooking with the help of MaThwala and MaLekolea. I was happy that MaLuthuli wasn’t going to be cooking. We loaded the drinks in the second cold room. The tent was already here and the décor people were starting with the decorations.

Last night uncle Lucky did all the talking with the ancestors and told them what is going to happen today. I guess everything was going to go well because they did nothing to show anger or anything. Just that I hadn’t seen MaLuthuli since yesterday. I was happy about that. I was hoping to never have a one on one conversation with her until I go back to Jozi.

After all the cooking and decorating was finished we all went to prepare to go to the cemetery. I gave aunt Sihle clothes for Bathanda and Nandi. I then got dressed in a navy mid-calf pleated short sleeve sheath puff sleeve dress with dusty pink block heels and dusty pink head wrap. I took my phone, care keys and went out after locking my room. You can never be too careful.

I went to the kitchen and I chuckled when I sensed Bari and Jaxon’s presence. I thanked them for coming and then went outside. The family was already waiting for me. They were dressed to kill, you’d swear they were going to the Durban July. MaLuthuli was wearing a big dramatic hat and a yellow two piece. I smiled widely when I saw Ellen and Phezana standing with the guys. I rushed to them and hugged them.

Me: “thank you so much for coming. You guys look very beautiful.” Ellen smiled.
Ellen: “I know I am white and all but the stares are creepy.” I laughed.
Lucky: “Bekeh we can go now.”
Me: “ohh okay malume. Let me take out a few things in the car.”

I went to the car and took out two bundles of flowers. They were still fresh so that was better. I locked the car and we walked to the cemetery which was 5 minutes away from home. It was the family cemetery where the Mntambo ancestors are buried. My phone rang and I rolled my eyes because it was Mehluko who was calling. I answered.

Me: “what?”
Mehluko: “I am craving to grab and spank that sexy ass of yours. It is so appetizing from where I am.” I turned and looked back. I saw him and he winked at me while biting his lips. I blushed and turned forward and carried on walking. I hung up and I heard his laughter.

We arrived at the cemetery and as soon as we were at mom and dad’s graves, MaLuthuli started crying dramatically. I internally rolled my eyes. What’s with the drama now? Anyways there was a pastor. So together with my uncles, they did what was needed. Then I was called to unveil the tombstones.

I wasn’t emotional. I was just proud of myself that I did this for my parents. I hope they know how much I miss and love them. I unveiled the tombstones and started reading the writings engraved on the tombstones. I started with mom’s. Something told me to look on the side and I smiled when I saw uncle Akhumzi and aunt Sumeya, my mother’s younger siblings.

Me: “NCUMOLWETHU ZAZI MNTAMBO. BORN IN 30 SEPTEMBER 1965 AND DIED IN 9 MAY 2010. DIED A MOTHER, WIFE, SISTER AND A DAUGHTER. YOU HAVE LEFT FOOTPRINTS IN MANY HEARTS. EVEN AFTER 50 YEARS YOUR PRINTS WILL STILL BE ENGRAVED IN OUR HEARTS.” I smiled and looked down. I then read dad’s tombstone next.

Me: “ZANEMPILO MNTAMBO. BORN IN 14 FEBRUARY 1962 AND DIED IN 25 MARCH 2020. DIED A FATHER, HUSBAND, BROTHER AND FRIEND. NHLANGOTHI THERE WILL NEVER BE ONE LIKE YOU. YOU WERE SPECIAL AND UNIQUE IN YOUR OWN WAY. YOUR LOVE AND WARMTH WILL BE FELT FOREVER.” I then placed the flowers on their graves.

The pastor and my uncles did whatever they did. After that some placed money some placed roses in the tombs. Then we headed back home. I went to Akhumzi and Sumeya. I last saw them 5 years ago. I wonder who even told them about this.

Akhumzi: “Ayola kamamakhe.” I smiled. Mom was a Xhosa woman. So when dad named me Sibekezelo, she named me Ayola. They both hugged me.
Me: “how did you guys know about this?”

Sumeya: “we met Lucky in George on Monday and he told us about this. We didn’t even know about your father’s death. Thing is we were with doctors without borders so no one informed us about anything.”

Me: “I am just happy you guys came.”
Akhumzi: “what are you busy with in life right now?”
Me: “I am a nanny in Jozi but next year I will be studying Zoology in UJ.”
Sumeya: “wow that’s good. We should definitely exchange numbers.” I smiled.

We arrived at home and we heard a piercing scream coming from the kitchen. Most of us rushed there. We found Sthembile on the ground with Bari looking straight in her eyes. I nearly laughed because she surely was trying to do something.

Me: “everyone calm down. I will sort this out. Don’t hit the snake.” I went closer to them and Bari raised his head to look at me.
‘Bari: “this bitch tried to put something in the pot. She has the poison in her hands.”’ I looked at Sthembile.
Me: “Sthembile what is that in your hands?”

Sthembile: “you should be chasing that monster instead of asking me stupid questions.”
Me: “until you come clean about what you were trying to do, the snake isn’t leaving and it might harm you or anyone who tries to help you.” I looked at uncle Lucky and Lubanzi. “She has something in her hands, a poison that she wanted to put in the food. Open her hands and see her palms if you don’t believe me.”

Sthembile: “that’s just insane.”
Lucky: “how about you just show us your hands mshana?” he said looking at Sthembile.
Sthembile: “no!”

Me: “What’s the big deal about open your palms? Unless you have something to hide.” Lubanzi went to her and forcefully opened her palms. Two pockets containing black contents fell to the ground. I turned to look at Bari and thanked him, he then rushed out. MaLuthuli made her way inside the kitchen with more women and she was shocked to see Sthembile on the ground with poison.

Lucky: “I am just glad that we caught you before you could do anything. Thanks to the snake, we would all be dead because of your poison. I know that you, your sister and mother hate Bekeh, but wanting to poison all her guests, that’s just pathetic. We won’t do anything to you but our ancestors will deal with you accordingly.”

Sthembile stood up and rushed out. Her mother and sister followed her. Wow. I was very thankful to my snake friends at that time. If they weren’t here, many people would’ve probably died. I went to my room and changed my shoes. I wore flip flops and went to the kitchen. My aunts and other women were dishing up and chatting about the incident.

They sent me to call my cousins so that they could help with the distribution of the food. We started serving food to the guests. When everyone was served, we ate ours. I ate very quickly and went to place the plate in the kitchen. I then asked two of my cousins to help me with the distribution of the drinks.

We served the drinks to everyone. After that, boiled beef with idombolo was served. It was very delicious. After finishing the dishes and all, I went to Akhumzi and Sumeya because they said they were already leaving. They hugged me tight.

Sumeya: “you should definitely come to visit at some point.” I chuckled.
Me: “maybe next year.” We exchanged numbers and then they left.
I went back and attended to all my guests. I was so happy that this day had come and passed. I was now looking forward to the future.