CHAPTER 29

The bell rang which indicated we should all head to the main hall. Usually it rang when someone stole something or someone tried to escape or something bad happened. We made our way to the hall and sat down. The staff came in followed by two beautiful sophisticated women. Most of the staff members seemed uncomfortable.

Deputy Director: “these women have something they wanna share with everyone. So over to you ladies.” The lady wearing a pantsuit and heels stepped forward with a bitch resting face.

Lady 1: “I am Nomalanga Biyela from Durban and I am a lawyer and a feminist. We are here today because a woman was detained and kept in this place without her concern and unlawfully.” She turned and looked at the deputy director who sweated.

“It has come to my attention that this is not the first time someone has been admitted to this hospital. There is so many corruption and stories about this hospital but don’t worry DD, we have all the time in the world.” She said with a smirk. The other lady stepped up.

Lady 2: “I am Doctor Kuhle Hombile. I studied Zoology and majored in herpetology. My PhD circled around amphibians and reptiles. I know I may come off as a weirdo but I am fascinated by these animals. I even have a python as a pet snake.” Everyone gasped. I sat back and looked at this woman. Somehow I had a feeling that they are here for me.

“Having a snake as a pet doesn't mean I should be admitted here and doesn't mean I am using it for dark magic or evil. That doesn’t qualify me as a witch or an insane woman. Let me tell you a fascinating story and after that, we will take what we came here for and leave you in peace.”

Likuwe: “awuse sexy.” We all laughed and Dr. Kuhle just shook her head.
Dr. Kuhle: “once upon a time, and please note that this is not a fairytale but a true story. A woman had a gift of communicating with snakes. She was a snake whisperer. She bonded with them and understood them on a different level. She was pure hearted. That’s why she inherited this gift. People found out about this and instead of sitting down with her and trying to understand her, they assumed the worst and went to attack her.”

“The snakes she was close to went to avenge her on their own accord without her approval or command. Well she didn't have power to command them to do something. These are wild animals so they live life according to their own rules.”

“When the community found out about the attack, they brutally murdered her.” Everyone gasped and some even shed tears. “Did she deserve to die? Did she deserve to be judged? Did she deserve such treatment from the community?”

Everyone: “NO!”
Dr. Kuhle: “today amongst us is a direct descendent of the Snake Whisperer. She was taped while talking with snakes and the video was sent here. The director deemed her as danger to the community so he locked her up in here without notifying people around her. She has been isolated from her loved ones and she feels neglected by being here.” I looked down as tears fell from my eyes. Someone came for me.

Noma: “we don’t want to draw attention to her, so you may all leave but we request that she stays behind.” People started leaving and I remained to my seat while wiping my tears.

When I looked up I noticed that I wasn’t the only one left. I chuckled and shook my head. I guess some of these ladies were trying their luck. The door opened and Mehluko made his way in.

Seeing him brought so much joy in my heart. I didn't even think about my following actions. I ran to him and jumped into his arms. He caught me and I wrapped my legs around him. I just sobbed because I didn't think anyone would come for me.

Me: “I never thought I would see you again or anyone for that matter. Are you okay?” I said as I looked at him. He chuckled.

Mehluko: “I never thought that one day you would be this happy to see me. Not after what I said to you.” I freed myself from him and just stood in front of him and took his hands to mine.

Me: “you don't need to apologize. I forgive you. Your reaction was justified. I mean if I was in your shoes I would've ran for the hills the minute you uttered words like those to me.” He laughed and shook his head.

Mehluko: “let's get out of here. Bel has been restless ever since you disappeared. Not a day has passed without her mentioning your name.” fresh tears streamed down my cheeks and he wiped them.

Me: “thank you for coning through for me.” He perked my lips.
Mehluko: “what can I say? I am pussy whipped.” He said shrugging and I burst out laughing. “Anyways let's go.”

Me: “can you get three other people released? Injustice was also done in their case. Please baby.” I said giving him puppy eyes. He huffed.

Mehluko: “fine. Give me their names.” I smiled while I gave him names and reasons why they were locked up in here.