CHAPTER 24

ELLEN

I got to my house and went inside. This was weird. Zelo always waited for me, especially after I had been away from home. I went to the lounge and frowned when I saw Bel sleeping in her throw on top of the rug on the floor near the coffee table. Zelo's phone was on the table and TV was playing. I picked up Bel and went to place her on her bed in her room.

I then went downstairs again. I looked everywhere and couldn't find Zelo. I was starting to get worried. Zelo was like those well behaved kids. If she had plans, she would inform me early so that I could ask for someone to look after Bel. This was new and actually scary because I didn't know where she was.

The only person that came to my mind to call was Mehluko. Even though they had  broken up a few weeks ago, maybe he had come to see her, they made up and got lost in each other. I took my phone and called him. It ringed 5 times and I dropped it. I called again and this time around he answered.

Mehluko: “El what's up? Everything okay?” he was panting. Like he had been running or having sex or was active.
Me: “have you seen Zelo?”
Mehluko: “no. Why?”
Me: “no reason.” I hung up and paced up and down.

This was becoming stressful. Nobody could get in and kidnap her just like that. We were in a safe neighborhood but still no one knew her that much that she could get kidnapped. I sat down and though of what might have happened. The front door opened and I practically ran to it. When I saw it was Azee I huffed.

Me: “oww it's you.” I turned and headed back to the lounge.
Azee: “and here I thought you would be excited to see your love after a week of not seeing each other.” I sighed and sat on the armchair.

My relationship with Azee had it's ups and downs but at the end of the day we always ended up together. Not because of Mabel but the love we had for each other was too strong and we couldn't let it just go to waste. We fought like cat and mouse and our make up sex sessions were always the best.

Azee: “talk to me.” He crouched in front of me. I breathed out loud.

Me: “I don’t know where Zelo is. I got home and found the house in a perfect state but Bel was sleeping in the rug here. Zelo's phone was here. Everything of hers is in her room but there was no single trace of here. I called Mehluko and he told me that she isn't with him. I am worried. Zelo would never leave Bel unattended.”

Azee: “you think something happened to her?” 
Me: “I don't think so, I know so. This is Zelo we are talking about. First she is responsible. She wouldn't leave Bel alone. Secondly she would've told me where she was going, informed me or something. I am going crazy thinking of where she could be right now.” He stood up and paced up and down. He then stopped and gave me a guilty look. “What is it?” I stood up and faced him. Even though I was a foot shorter than him, I knew my look would intimidate him.

Azee: “we could look at the CCTV footage.” He said in a whisper. I think I didn’t hear him correctly.
Me: “I am sorry, what?” I gave him a deadly look.
Azee: “this was in case of emergency. In case something happened to you and I wasn’t here to protect you.” I clicked my tongue in irritation.

Me: “this discussion isn't over but for now we have to find Zelo.”  He went out and came back a few moments with his iPad.
Azee: “what times should I check?”
Me: “she last texted me around 10 am so check from 10 up until now. Just check the gate footage.” He looked down in shame and then tapped on his tab. He wasn't going to hear the end of it after we had found Zelo.

He checked on the CCTV and his face was blank. I went to stand next to him so that I could get a better view. He fast-forwarded when he saw no interesting movement. It was 1:43pm when the gate opened and vans drove in. Where the heck did they get a gate remote control?

They climbed off their cars and went around the house. Azee followed their movements as they made their way to the backyard where Zelo was sitting with her snake friends. My skin cringed when I thought of the reason why these people were here. Someone shot Zelo and she fell down but didn't bleed which meant those were tranquilizers. I couldn't continue watching, I just sat down defeated and cried.

Azee: “baby calm down. We are going to find her.” He sat down next to me.
Me: “how when she could be anywhere in Gauteng or even South Africa? Do you even know who those people were?”

Azee: “from what I have observed, they were from a psychic hospital. Wait. Baby why was Zelo sitting with snakes?” I avoided his eyes.
Me: “that's not important. What's important is that we should find her as soon a possible.”
Azee: “I wanna help you. Believe me. Zelo is like my little sister if not my firstborn. Of course I want her back home safe and sound but I gotta know what I am up against.” I sighed and looked at him.

Me: “she has a gift of communicating with snakes. She is not a witch but she can communicate with them. That's why Mehluko broke up with her. he couldn't handle her gift.”
Azee: “she is what?”

Me: “hey she is human and a very special human. She is cared wherever she is and hopeless. She needs us. She needs saving and we are going to find her and bring her back home because we are family.” He sighed and hugged me.

Azee: “she is family and we don't turn our backs on family.” He kissed my forehead. “we will find her baby. Don't worry.” Oww I was worried because I didn’t even know where we would start looking for her.